cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DropBox creates duplicate screenshots

DropBox creates duplicate screenshots on the app.

PTB_9
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

#MacOS - when I take a partial screenshot on my Macbook (CMD+Shift+4), it seems DropBox creates duplicate copies of the same screenshot. Sometimes I get 2 or 3 dups, other times there are up to 5 dups. Is there a setting or something in DropBox that prevents the creation of duplicate files (.png) when taking a screenshot?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @PTB_9< if you disable the screenshot feature in the desktop app, and then take a screenshot, does the same issue occur?

What about when you quit the Dropbox desktop application completely?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @PTB_9, welcome to our Community! 

Have you enabled your screenshots to be saved to Dropbox automatically, as mentioned here

What is the version of the app that you have installed on your device?

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

PTB_9
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Megan, yes I've downloaded and installed the latest version (v162.4.5419)of Dropbox app for MacOS Monterey 12.6.1, and have checked the box to "Share screenshots and screen recordings using Dropbox", but it's still happening. I just took a new screenshot and Dropbox created 3 additional copies of the original screenshot in the folder: "Screenshots" under the Dropbox location.  I used CMD+SHIFT+4 to take the screenshot. All is showing fine in the screenshot but there are now 4 total files (1 original + 3 exact copies).

This is what's showing up in the folder (Screenshots):

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 4.03.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 4.03.10 PM(2).png

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 4.03.10 PM(3).png

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 4.03.10 PM(4).png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the extra info, @PTB_9

Can you please take one more step with me and disable/re-enable the feature via your app preferences? 

I’d like to see if this will help with the issue you’re having.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

PTB_9
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Nancy,

I went into the app, Preferences, Backups, unchecked the "Share screenshots and screen recordings using Dropbox", exited out, signed out. Then reloaded the app, Preferences, Backups, and re-checked the box "Share screenshots...."

Took a screen shot and the same issue happened. One original file, then 3 more duplicates in the Dropbox/Screenshots folder. Also, the screenshot was placed on my Desktop folder.  It should be noted, I never see the message from Dropbox about "a link has been created for this screenshot", etc. When I take the screenshot, a popup thumbnail appears on the bottom right of my screen, stays visible a few moments then disappears.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I'm getting tired of having to go into Finder and send the duplicate files to Trash.  Thanks, Paul

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @PTB_9< if you disable the screenshot feature in the desktop app, and then take a screenshot, does the same issue occur?

What about when you quit the Dropbox desktop application completely?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

PTB_9
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

I unchecked the box "Share screenshots and screen recordings using Dropbox" in the Dropbox app (Preferences, Backups) and took a screenshot. The "Screenshot" app in MacOS (Monterey) saved it to my Desktop folder, no additional duplicate files anywhere (Yes!!!).  I also quit Dropbox app completely and tried taking another screenshot - no issues, no duplicate files, only 1 screenshot captured/saved to my Desktop folder.

Went into the "Screenshot" app options in MacOS, and changed the default folder from "Desktop" to "Dropbox/Screenshots" folder and took another screenshot - again, no issues, no dups!

So my question is: now that I'm saving the screenshot (using MacOS app) under the Dropbox/Screenshots folder, does that mean I'm losing any other functionality that Dropbox "Share screenshots and screen recordings using Dropbox" would provide? 

Thanks so much for your help!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @PTB_9, happy Monday!

So the feature in question exists to allow you to automatically save screenshots and screen recordings to your Dropbox folder.

If you're taking your screenshots and manually moving them to your Dropbox folder, the end result is the same, it's just done manually.

Would you like to continue doing this, or would you like to continue troubleshooting with us about the screenshots feature?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

PTB_9
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hey Hannah!

So, I'm o.k. if we continue to troubleshoot why Dropbox is creating multiple screenshot files on my MacBook Pro when that checkbox is checked in DB settings. But, I'm also satisfied with the solution to manually point the screenshots to DB folder (without the checkbox checked). If you are willing to spend more time on troubleshooting this issue, I am too. What additional information or steps do you need from me to proceed? 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @PTB_9, can we try one more thing?

If you take a normal full screenshot (you can do this by pressing cmd+shft+3), do you still notice the same behavior? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?