cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Backup Problems

Dropbox Backup Problems

drluk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am facing two issues with the Dropbox Backup tool:

1. The Desktop, Downloads, and Documents directories are not moving to Dropbox, like: /User/Desktop/<computer_name>/Desktop. They continue in the default path: /User/<username>/Desktop

I already formatted the computer, unlinked my Dropbox account from all other computers and it still doesn't work.

2. Even unlinking everything, he insists on creating weird names for the backup. Now it created "Mac (3) (1)", since you already had "Mac (2), etc... is there a way to RESET this, so that it goes back to being just "Mac"? Remembering: I unlinked all accounts, deleted all the backups and formatted the computer and it doesn't work!

It's freaking annoying.

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

drluk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for answering.

1. No error or issues.

2. No sync icon.

3. It's not allowed to rename backups (Dropbox Staff told me at support's chat).

I think Dropbox Backup is not solid (it's Beta) and errors can occur.

I stopped to use it and now I'm manually creating symlinks to Desktop, Documents e Downloads folders. I created a folder called "Mac" inside Drobox folder and then create the three folders.

Then, via Terminal:

DIR=Desktop && sudo rm -rf /Users/<username>/${DIR} && ln -s /Users/<username>/Dropbox/Mac/${DIR} ${DIR}

After that, I hide the Mac folder, via Terminal:

chflags hidden /Users/<username>/Dropbox/Mac

Problem solved without use Dropbox Backup.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

drluk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Now, after formatting again, Backup is "Mac (3) (1) (2) (1) (1)" !!!!

I don't think it's related with my notebook (MacBook Air M1) but with my Dropbox account... is there any Dropbox Staff here or anyone can tell me the official channel to handle this situation?

Thanks!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @drluk, and thanks for posting on our forum!

As per the first issue that you mention, did you receive any type of error while backing up your folders to Dropbox? Anything at all that could suggest the backup wasn't completed? 

Also, if you check these folders, do you see any kind of syncing icons next to them?

Finally, did you attempt to manually remove these numbers from the name of your device and you’re unable to do so?

Keep me posted.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

drluk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for answering.

1. No error or issues.

2. No sync icon.

3. It's not allowed to rename backups (Dropbox Staff told me at support's chat).

I think Dropbox Backup is not solid (it's Beta) and errors can occur.

I stopped to use it and now I'm manually creating symlinks to Desktop, Documents e Downloads folders. I created a folder called "Mac" inside Drobox folder and then create the three folders.

Then, via Terminal:

DIR=Desktop && sudo rm -rf /Users/<username>/${DIR} && ln -s /Users/<username>/Dropbox/Mac/${DIR} ${DIR}

After that, I hide the Mac folder, via Terminal:

chflags hidden /Users/<username>/Dropbox/Mac

Problem solved without use Dropbox Backup.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

drluk Helpful | Level 6
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?