cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox keeps complaining about "Can't Sync 'System Volume Information'"

Dropbox keeps complaining about "Can't Sync 'System Volume Information'"

Post T.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dropbox Windows client 3.0.5, running on Windows 8.1

I have a dedicated partition / drive for Dropbox, and Windows created "System Volume Information" folder on its root directory.

Dropbox client keeps saying:
Indexing "System Volume Information"...
Can't Sync "System Volume Information" (access denied)

I tried to use "Selective Sync" to un-check this folder, but unfortunately it does not show up in the folder list.

Thus the Dropbox client never finishes syncing because of this folder.

Can Dropbox client be a little smart and don't even try to sync this system folder? it really does not make sense.

26 Replies 26

Terry P.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Sorry to butt in here, but I'm going nuts trying to find out how to post a new topic! I've done so in the past. All I see is this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/DB-Forum-NewPost.jpg 

Will T.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I see how you could be confused now that I look at it. Check the bottom of the page for the blue button.

Terry P.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Thanks Will. Not the most intuitive place to put it IMO, but I should have looked there!

Reg A.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Well, if I run CMD as administrator (helpful!) I can own the System Volume Information folder but I can't change the attributes; I get told they are not being reset.  So I will wait and see if Dropbox can sync that folder or whether I have to do something else.....

Will T.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I see your issue now. It seems the behavior of Windows was changed with Win10 in this instance.

I may have gotten it to work on my flash drive on Win10, try this:

Show hidden and system files by going to control panel -> folder options.

Right click properties of "system volume information".

Under security - > advanced, set yourself as owner and apply.

Under security add "users" to the groups and give full control (I got an error but it still worked).

Use attrib -S -H to unhide and un-system file "system volume information".

Mine now appears to be un-hidden but I am unsure of how consistent this will be. You might have to fight with it a bit.

Reg A.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

That was hard work.  The "view hidden files" used to be "view hidden and system files"  Now you uncheck "Hide system files" from further down the list of viewing options.  Then I could see the folder, change its security, and, as you said, it claimed "I can't do that!" but did it anyway.  It is still saying it can't sync the "System Volume Information" folder - which is empty anyway - but maybe by tomorrow it will have got the idea that it can!!  If it still won't I will try and delete it!

I will come back if any more problems (which seems probable!).

Thanks for your help

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Why dont you just exclude the folder from syncing via the suggestion I made, it would seem much easier. (Deleting it wont help you windows recreates it)

Will T.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dave,

I didn't see your previous post. That is a very good idea if it works. I would be curious to know if anyone tried it successfully.

I did not mean to suggest deleting it. Only making it un-hidden so that it could be de-selected from syncing. The idea of creating a folder with the same name and un-selecting it is interesting.

Reg A.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I sent a reply but it seems to have evaporated.  Yes, changing permissions seems to have cracked it.  I accept deleting the folder wouldn't help.  And it seem to me you can't create a folder with the same name because the OS would just say that it already exists, yes?.

The takeown command was a new one to me; it may have been valuable but I can't tell.  Certainly changing permissions was the important thing, and also de-selecting it once it was visible finally clinched it.

So thanks, guys, good work; I am grateful.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Reg A.  : re "And it seem to me you can't create a folder with the same name because the OS would just say that it already exists, yes?."

IIt seems to me if people actually read replies they wouldnt write counter replies that are not applicable.

So again....

Selective sync works of the folders that are in the cloud, not the machine.

So I would expect you can just create the folder via the website, and then selectively unsync it.

Tested and works fine, no hassle no hardship.

Need more support?