cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Suddenly Stopped Backing Up Document and Download Directories and Wiped Previous Backups

Dropbox suddenly stopped backing up Document and Download directories and wiped previous backups

Richard S.63
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, just a warning.  My Dropbox suddenly stopped backing up about 95% of my Document and Downloads directories apparently a couple of days ago and deleting most files and folders including sentimental photos of my recently deceased wife, and in some cases wiped some folders or files beyond recovery.  Not sure if this is a bug in the latest Dropbox app.  I have talked with the help desk and eventually they agreed to escalate the problem.  This is a serious issue so I thought important to advise others and see if anyone else has experienced a similar problem.  I hope there is a simple fix but I am nor particularly optimistic.

21 Replies 21

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

I’m really sorry to hear about your loss, @Richard S.63, and what happened. 

Feel free to send me your ticket number here, and I’ll also have a look. 

Can you also clarify the app version of your Dropbox app and if you’ve had any recent updates on it?

Let me know when you’re ready.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Richard S.63
Explorer | Level 3

The version and OS are 195.3.4906 and 11.26058.

I have also emailed support.

Richard

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the app version, Richard! Can you also send me your ticket number, as it shows in your email address? It'll most likely start from #23 and then continue with an array of numbers.

I can leave an internal note for you, so that our team may review this as soon as possible.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Richard S.63
Explorer | Level 3

Ticket #23455568

Thanks

Richard

Richard S.63
Explorer | Level 3

The problems are just getting worse and worse.  It appears the since Dropbox deleted files, it is now synchronising with my PC to delete those same files.  I have lost all photographs of my recently deceased wife.  I cannot express my anger and disgust in words.  This is shameful.  I can not have any trust that important files can be confidently backed up on Dropbox.  You have now deprived me of the memories from almost 50 years of marriage.  This is shameful. 

Richard S.63
Explorer | Level 3

It just gets worse and worse.  You have now wiped virtually files including critical work files in Documents on my PC.  Your application is out of control.  First you delete and in some cases destroy the files beyond recovery on Dropbox and then you have synchronised those deletions on my PC.  This may now cost me my job.  This is disgraceful.

Richard S.63
Explorer | Level 3

I have now disconnected from Dropbox.  I can no longer trust it as a reliable backup.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the ticket number and the additional info, @Richard S.63.

I can see that you have an update on your ticket from the member of our team that's working on your case.

I have passed your comments along and raised the priority of the case, so make sure to keep an eye on that email chain and reply as needed.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Richard S.63
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your intervention but the additional information provided in the ticket was irrelevant.  Your record of the file deletions does accord with the deleted files shown in Dropbox backup - at least those that still show in "Show Deleted Files". 

As I mentioned in the ticket, I suspect this started about two days ago when the Dropbox app was updated and I noticed that it had created a new directory in my Downloads folder call "My files in Dropbox" and downloaded files were being placed in that directory.  All other Downloads folders and files in Dropbox have been deleted (or in some cases wiped) and only those in "My files in Dropbox" were uploaded. 

In addition, Dropbox decimated my Documents backup and then overnight has synchronised with my PC deleting the PC files that Dropbox had deleted in the cloud.  I saw the record of my wife's photographs being deleted in the status window this morning.

I have now disconnected Dropbox and trying to find a way that I can copy those folders and files remaining to another safe location. 

In short it seems that the Dropbox app update had wreaked havoc and no-one seems to know why.  But it is a real mess. 

Need more support?