cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhance Dropbox Symbol in Task Notification Area to show problem with outrunning disk space

Enhance Dropbox Symbol in Task Notification Area to show problem with outrunning disk space

mpbx1
Helpful | Level 6

I had some process looping and writing the disk full (windows, file indexing, loops by certain file types). When there is only few space left (1 to 2 GB) the dropbox icon in the Task Notification Area (TNA, in former times System Tray) remains unchanged. Only if you touch the icon and klick "right" (context) the activity tab or the synchronisation course shows on the upper edge the message "disk is full". If you have to download bigger files the download will stopp and you do not recognize it: The dropbox icons shows no error and looks like as normal operation ("active").

In my opinion this is dangerous and some user not even have a clue that there is something going wrong.

Therefore I'm suggesting some overlay on the dropbox icon with a disk symbol or an exclamation mark in red if the free space of the harddisk is falling under a certain amount.

Be aware: I'm working with dropbox set to language German and I tried to translate carefully the messages, texts and so on. But there is no guaranty that I've done it right.

2 Replies 2

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mpbx1, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this and happy Monday!

Currently, these are the Dropbox icons and their meaning. 

That said, note that your feedback has been noted in our system - let us know if you have anything else to add. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mpbx1
Helpful | Level 6

Sorry for answering so late - I've been very busy. Additionally I've cleaned up the disk and I'm continously monitoring the amount of free space.

Concerning your answer: I'm aware of the different symbols as shown on the link you sent me. My doubt is referring to "Die Synchronisierungssymbole im Infobereich" (synch symbol in messaging area / info area) and especially to "Vollständig synchronisiert" (completely synched). This symbol also shows up even when synchronisation has been stopped because of full disk.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mpbx1 Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?