cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External drive backup complete, but vast difference in sizes

External drive backup complete, but vast difference in sizes

socksinacan
Explorer | Level 4

I used Dropbox to backup my external drive with 520GB of content.  The backup is complete and Dropbox says it's in sync, but the size of my back up is only 428GB.  Such a discrepancy scares me.  Is there some really good compression, deduplication, etc. being applied?

Thanks!

16 Replies 16

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @socksinacan, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Have you checked the sync status of the Dropbox app? 

You can see that by hovering your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar.

Do you see any error messages?

Also, what is your computer's OS and version?

Thanks in advance!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

socksinacan
Explorer | Level 4
When I hover over the app in the bottom right, it says "Up to date". The Dropbox Backup page shows the drive and says the status is "Done". OS is Windows 11, app version is 148.4.4519.

Also, is there either an option or a third party tool that will let me see information on files and folders in the backup, like size?

Thanks!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @socksinacan, you can view the external drive backup on the site directly. Regarding comparing the two, currently there isn't a Dropbox feature to do so, since if it states it's backed up, it means that the files are already synced successfully.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

socksinacan
Explorer | Level 4
It's weird, though. I did an intense deduplication on the drive, bringing down from 520GB to 436GB. After syncing, the backup on Dropbox went from 426GB to 346GB. So the cleanup was mirrored in the backup, but I still have a 90GB difference between the two, even though Dropbox says they're in sync.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @socksinacan, and sorry to jump in. 

Is it possible to upload some screenshots of the backup size you see both on Dropbox and your external hard drive, perhaps? 

Also, I’d like you to check the main folders located on your external hard drive and double check their size on Dropbox, so that we can see if there’s a specific folder that’s missing data.

Let me know what you find!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

socksinacan
Explorer | Level 4

20220525_152444.jpg20220525_153307.jpg

Thank you for the response. I was able to get the screenshots.  The Dropbox web app isn't showing folder sizes, though. 20220525_154020.jpg

Jay
Dropbox Staff

In the screenshot, it shows that the external drive backup is paused, so it possible isn't fully synced.

You can view the size of folders on your external drive on the site by following these steps.

Once you have the sizes enabled, and the drive shows as 'done' on the main Backups page, let us know if the folder sizes match with those on your external drive.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

socksinacan
Explorer | Level 4

Yeah, it's been doing that when I turn the backup sync back on.  Shows paused even though I've turned it back on and the app has displayed syncing and then synced.  It eventually displays correctly.  I'll check out these size steps when I can get back in front of it.  Thanks. 

socksinacan
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for the size tip.  I looked at the folder sizes in both locations, and two of the folders combined to a five GB discrepency.  The rest were almost spot on between the two locations, with negligible differences.  Certainly nothing to account for 80-90GB difference. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    _adamdunbar Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?