cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Request - Please provide an option to NOT rename our uploaded files

File Request - Please provide an option to NOT rename our uploaded files

sunspots
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

We receive tons of file submissions from our business partners daily. However, a large part of the time I spend managing these submissions is spent renaming the files because they're automatically prefixed or suffixed with the Dropbox username of the user that uploaded the file. This causes a lot of unnecessary work and wasted time.

I am requesting that you allow us - the paying Dropbox users - the option to determine for ourselves if the Dropbox username is desired  . . .  or, if the original unaltered filenames are what we'd like to have to work with.

Screen-Shot-2023-01-19-at-11.45.04-AM.png

Thank you.

PS - If I've linked you to this message, it was because you had created or responded to a thread that included the terms File & Request. I know this may not apply to everyone, but if you think that this is a reasonable feature to add (at least, the option to not have the Dropbox user prefixed or suffixed onto the original file name), then please vote for and link other Dropbox members that you think might benefit from this feature, and promote this idea!

@Staab@Drew G@Teamchil@benebelt1@dwcapture@buildonrock@Artisticfuries@mccarthian@SuperStock@Macn101@MeritDeveloper@VJG21@Birsay, @tc16@Rich, @ramiromalcala@Mark, @Ed, @PPT320, @Greg-DB@Filip H, @Jay @Tom Tom, @hallofgame2k22, @w_l, @Hannah, @Nancy, @marplatense, @jcm48, @dappelgren

46 Replies 46

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@K-DB wrote:

How do I stop changes to filename when files uploaded using the file request function?

There is no setting to prevent that from happening, or to change how it's renamed.

K-DB
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

That's what I thought, this just means that the File Transfer function is totally useless for the task I had planned to use it for as I don’t want to have to rename 350 files.

Is there any process for requesting a review or change to File Transfer function?

Is there any other way to get files put into DropBox from a large number of people without a DropBox account where the file name remains the same?

dblatner
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I know this is an old thread, but I just found a simple way to do this:

On both Mac and Winddows, you can use Adobe's free Bridge software, as shown in this video:

https://creativepro.com/creativepro-video-how-to-batch-rename-files-in-adobe-bridge/

Or, for Mac only: TidBits has a terrific article about easy file renaming here: https://tidbits.com/2018/06/28/macos-hidden-treasures-batch-rename-items-in-the-finder/

rdinsf
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

You should tell people before they send out a file request that the files will be renamed.  No on expects that, and once you have received hundreds of files with mangled names it's too late.

aelkins
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I've just encountered the same thing. This is absolutly crazy.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there, just wanted to drop in here!

We do have a post in our dedicated area of the Community here suggesting an option to disable renaming for uploads through file requests.

If you'd like to show your support for this, please visit the post linked above and give it an upvote. You can even share any additional thoughts by commenting underneath too.

Hope this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mubasshir Tahmid
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just contacted them via messenger. They said that they would try to fix this. You can contact via messenger as well.

MichaelTian
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox appends uploader's NAME to the file names automatically when when upload files from File Request function. Please provide us an option of not appending client's name to the File Request function. We often receive hundreds of uploaded files through "File Request" feature and we need to maintain the uploaded files original names. 

Please review and modify the program.

Thanks,

Michael

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

This idea is going to need some additional support before we can share it with our team.

I've updated the status to encourage more users to back it up!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thank you for your idea, while we can’t take every idea forward we do regularly re-review and will update you if anything changes!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Matthew Kim New member | Level 2
    sunspots Helpful | Level 7
    frontside Explorer | Level 4
    Graham Community Manager
What do Dropbox user levels mean?