cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files generated by Microsoft's SQL don't sync.

Files generated by Microsoft's SQL don't sync.

sleve
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I've read the faq, already did complete reinstall of dropbox application. The problem still occurs.

I've the following problem: I use Microsoft sql server and each day a backup is done automatically. The backup of my database is generated each day by the software. The location for the file is inside my dropbox folder on my computer. But the file is not uploaded, dropbox will not even notice the new file generated. But if I copy this file on my desktop and then replace the file inside my dropbox folder (location of my backup) it will be upload and I'll have a green tick.

What am I missing?

Regards,

4 Replies 4

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @sleve, welcome to our Community! 

In regards to the Microsoft backup not syncing automatically, have you chosen for the database backup to get saved inside your Dropbox folder automatically or is it a symlink?

If instead of moving the file outside of your Dropbox folder, you duplicate it inside the folder, do you notice the same behavior then?

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sleve
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

have you chosen for the database backup to get saved inside your Dropbox folder automatically : yes, database backup inside Dropbox folder

you duplicate it inside the folder, do you notice the same behavior then : When ctrl+c and ctrl +v inside the same folder, the copied file will upload with no problem

Regards,

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @sleve, keep in mind that we generally don't recommend that people sync live databases with Dropbox. 

Most databases have remote access methods anyway, so you don't need to sync the live database. You can sync saved snapshots, however, with no issues.

That said, you can use Dropbox to share the data, but you need to take great care and understand how file syncing works.

Most programs create a "file lock" on any file that they are using, and this lock will prevent Dropbox from syncing the file. In some cases you must fully quit the application before Dropbox can sync the data. You must then make sure Dropbox has finished syncing before trying to access the file from any computer.

If you restart the app or pause it and then resume the syncing process, does that help with your files syncing?

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sleve
Explorer | Level 3

If you restart the app or pause it and then resume the syncing process, does that help with your files syncing?

No, always the same problem
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sleve Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?