cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files not sharing and not deleting, showing different content on sender and receiver

Files not sharing and not deleting, showing different content on sender and receiver

Rodger C.
Helpful | Level 5

This week, suddenly out of nowhere, files I upload every week are choosing not to appear on the other party's end. He still sees last week's file even though I had already deleted it. Tried deleting the new file and uploading again, same file with a new name, and he didn't see that either. Still has old files. I asked him to delete everything, he said he did but they're still here on this end. And now after I delete them again again, Dropbox won't let me permanently delete. I've tried rebooting and maintenance, tried sending to another third party email, and that 3p email sees what I send just fine. Could it be on his end?  Also tried to explore the "Rewind" option but the site won't go to it.

If I delete the entire folder (it's his account, not mine), can I get it back? Or if I delete my entire account can I get that back?

13 Replies 13

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Rodger C., thanks for bringing this to our attention.

In order to understand exactly what is happening, could you describe the exact steps you're taking to share or upload these files?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rodger C.
Helpful | Level 5

Sure, same way as always, they're mp3 files of about 120-130 mB, I drag and drop. Usually I rename them once they're in there to keep them distinct from my originals. I did notice the upload hung up on 99% for a long time before it went up, that was the only unusual event. But the other party doesn't see it, he sees the one I loaded a week before and already deleted.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

When you drag and drop them, are they into a shared folder on the Dropbox site, or are you using a file request to upload to their account?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Rodger C.
Helpful | Level 5

A shared Dropbox folder. The other party's account created the folder for my input, and we have been using it for about three years.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional info, @Rodger C..

So, if I understand correctly, you're accessing the shared folder and are uploading your files through our website, right?

Where is the other member of the folder accessing it from? The website as well?

Could it be possible that they've installed the Dropbox application and are accessing the folder from the local Dropbox folder on their computer?

If that's the case, they might have a sync issue on their Dropbox application.

If they're accessing the folder from the Dropbox folder and are not seeing your updates, can they check the website as well, to see if the files appear for them there?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Rodger C.
Helpful | Level 5

So, if I understand correctly, you're accessing the shared folder and are uploading your files through our website, right?

Yes, exactly.

Where is the other member of the folder accessing it from? The website as well?

I would assume so -- I don't know of any other way to do it.

Could it be possible that they've installed the Dropbox application and are accessing the folder from the local Dropbox folder on their computer?

I'm afraid this is over my head, I don't know what this means. The other party transfers many files from many users regularly and hasn't mentioned problems with anyone else, nor with my files, until this last one. I don't understand this "synch" thing or how it works, and I have never met him. Generally I do my upload and then alert him that I've done so, and that's all I see on my end. Then the following week I delete the old one after it's used and upload the next week's file. The two strange things going on are that (1) he didn't see my deletions or new files this time, and (2) after I do my deletions, the site won't let me permanently delete them, a message I have never seen before. I get "Ask the owner to help permanently delete this". I asked him at one point to delete what he sees, which he says he did, and it made no difference on my end, but the files he was deleting were not the ones I was seeing anyway and nothing changed on my end. As an experiment I also sent access to the same file to my alternate email, and it showed up there as normal.

I also found the "Rewind" feature and tried to do that but I can't get access to it. The "Get Rewind" link returns me to a main splash page and there's no option to pick a date to rewind.

If that's the case, they might have a sync issue on their Dropbox application.

If they're accessing the folder from the Dropbox folder and are not seeing your updates, can they check the website as well, to see if the files appear for them there?

No idea Â¯\_(ツ)_/¯ -- I can copy and paste the above and send it to him but I won't be able to explain what it's talking about.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

It sounds like they aren't looking at the shared folder, and are instead looking at a copy of the folder, or something to that effect.

You could ask them to see if they accidentally deleted the shared folder from their account, and to see if they can add it back to their account from this page

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Rodger C.
Helpful | Level 5

Now I'm really confused. I clicked on the link mentioned here:

>> You could ask them to see if they accidentally deleted the shared folder from their account, and to see if they can add it back to their account from this page

... and I got a list of folders I have created and deleted over the years; when I clicked on one to see what it was it "joined" me to it. Well I didn't want or need those old files, so I deleted them, and now, like the others, Dropbox won't let me permanently delete years-old files that I don't need. It says I "don't have permission" even though I'm the one who created them. If this keeps happening my space is going to fill up with old unneeded files. Why am I being denied?

I've heard back from the other party, who says he accesses Dropbox from an app on his PC "instead of the website" and suggests I try doing the same. Now I have to go figure out what that means. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Were you the owner of the shared folder? You should be able to at least remove it from your account to free up quota, even if you can delete it.

Regarding the desktop, they're most likely referring to the Dropbox desktop application, which would allow the folders to sync to your machine. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Rodger C. Helpful | Level 5
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?