cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: High CPU Usage after updating MacBook Pro to MacOS Monterey (12.3)

High CPU Usage after updating MacBook Pro to MacOS Monterey (12.3)

afrey25
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I installed the latest MacOS update (Monterey 12.3) on my MacBook pro last night and now Dropbox is almost continuously syncing files and sucking my CPU usage. Fans are running almost constantly, and battery life has been dreadful as a result.

Anyone else experiencing this?

All my files are fully synced so I have no clue what files Dropbox keeps re-syncing and why over and over again. I've rebooted, turned Dropbox on and off. Pretty much everything I can think of other than deleting and reinstalling the desktop app. 

Any suggestions? Thanks.

93 Replies 93

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi Everybody,

I spoke with our engineering team to confirm that this issue was resolved. I'm following up with this thread to confirm that high CPU usage is no longer a problem for any users. Ensure your MacOS and Dropbox are up to date, and please let us know if this is still affecting you. Thanks!

Regards,

Ben

gio18
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, it is. Dropbox is still "syncing 1 file" forever. I can work properly only on another User on my Apple M1 Pro that is not logged in Dropbox.

Processes rtcreportingd and fileproviderd are still using above 100% of CPU on my original User. I am running v181.4.5678 and Ventura 13.5.1. 

All open-and-save panels get often stuck with all apps (finder, word, excel, preview...) and the only way to have files opened and/or saved is to kill those two processes (tcreportingd and fileproviderd) that, indeed, get back to over 100% in seconds. My Dropbox folder is very large (approx 500 GBs)

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I’m sorry to hear you’re still having trouble with this, @gio18

There was recently a newer desktop app build released. Can you please update your Dropbox app and let me know if it makes any difference at all? 

If not, we’ll check this further.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dragonxuser1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am having the same issue. Started when upgrading from OS Monterey to Ventura. M1 mac. The status toggles between "updating files" and "updating 1 file". Ive let it update over 24 hours to no effect.  I understand some file system updating needs to occur. Is there a point where letting the computer run no longer is helpful? Id prefer to not let my computer fry indefinitely if the system is hung up or just spinning its wheel.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dragonxuser1, sorry to hear about this.

Have you restarted Dropbox or your computer ever since this started occurring? 

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

dragonxuser1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The backup seemed to never recover and It routinely crashed Finder in mac. Even when restarting computer itself and yes i restarted dropbox a number of times. Would either say connecting components or synching 1 file. But all the while any attempt to use finder would lead to a full system lock up via finder freeze up. The only option ultimately was to do a complete computer wipe and reinstall. But at least my files are backed up by dropbox.... Definitely a frustrating and very time-consuming experience. I would have appreciated a warning there could be issues when the dropbox app recommended changing over to this new file structure. 

LaraRebooted
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It's absolutely still a problem. I'm running 182.4.6427 on my MacBook Air on Monterey 12.6.8, and the program has been blowing out my fan 24/7. It relentelessly starts syncing and resyncing files that are unchanged, for no good reason, constantly. I'm about ready to throw it out and reconsider iCloud if I can't get this fixed soon. So far the only workable fix I've found is turning Dropbox off, which really defeats the purpose of having it.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @LaraRebooted, sorry to hear about this.

Have you taken a look at this Help Center article which outlines some possible reasons why this might be happening?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Arkadiy K.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Still high CPU issues on the latest version. What's even more alarming is that I can't now fully kill Dropbox - the DropboxFileProvider process stays alive and keeps on consuming resources.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Arkadiy K., have you tried reinstalling the app, without uninstalling it first, by using this link and then rebooting your device?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?