cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I hide users with who I've shared files with?

How can I hide users with who I've shared files with?

Kevpat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How can I hide whom I am sharing a file with? I do not want all of the people I am sharing with to be able to see whom ever else I am sharing with.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
A share link, by its nature, is a shared file. People will know it's shared, but not with whom and they can't see that it's shared with anyone else. It's just a link to the file; nothing more.

Just know that ANYONE that has the link can access the file. Anyone that you give the link to can forward it to anyone else.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You cannot I'm afraid.

The only work around is to use a shared link to distribute the file out and requests to get it back from others.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Kevpat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So just sharing the link will not appear as being "Shared"?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
A share link, by its nature, is a shared file. People will know it's shared, but not with whom and they can't see that it's shared with anyone else. It's just a link to the file; nothing more.

Just know that ANYONE that has the link can access the file. Anyone that you give the link to can forward it to anyone else.

PM30
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This does not address what I have come to know as a big problem, and searching the internet, it seems like there a lot of others out there.

let me give you a scenario;

I have big construction projects that have many files I put in a folder that I want to send out for bid. During the bidding process, questions are asked which leads to needing to changes in the folder packet here and there.  I bid out to many companies and I don’t want the bidders to see who is and who isn’t bidding. 

So multiple folders or links?

Multiple folders chew up enormous space and are near to impossible to make sure all changes are updated to all bidders.

Links ARE impossible to control the content on the bidders drop box account because they download the folder that day, and are not notified of changes to the original folder that was linked

this is a collaborative process. so, when drop box says sorry, our program is only for collaboration, I think that’s a too narrow definition of the word at best.

Scradock
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is an issue for the way I use Dropbox - and one that is now making me think of seeking an alternative.  It should be straight-forward to hide the other memebers of the folder. Collaboration is about access to common files/information - not about who sees others in the same folder.  I have resources I'd like to share with my clients but for confidentaility reasons I can't let others know who I'm working with - the way dropbox is set up means I can't share the folder - which means I am being forced to look for other options. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Collaboration is about working with others, which is the entire point of a Shared Folder within the Dropbox environment. It doesn't make sense, in the intended use, to hide the members of a shared folder from one another.

Scradock
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've seen this repsonse from you in other posts Rich.  There's also another important business rule that says 'the customer is king' - and from what I can see there are many customers asking for this change.  Which doesn't change the collaboration facility.  Not having it is a reason for me to leave Dropbox.

CFAssociates
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Talk about completely missing the point, Rich. I have the exact same issue with Dropbox. I have come to realise that Dropbox is not the correct software for this purpose which is frustrating as it is surely an easy feature to implement (hiding who can see the folder).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

CFAssociates New member | Level 2
    Scradock New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    PM30 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?