cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to force files and/or folders to load locally?

How to force files and/or folders to load locally?

dox_user
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have just installed Dropbox on a new laptop in preparation for working for a few days when out of range of internet (might be able to connect through a tethered mobile phone, but with only limited bandwidth).

I want to make sure I have access to all critical documents and files.  With my tablet or smartphone I can set a directory or individual files to be available offline.  What’s the equivalent with Smart Sync?  Do I really have to open each relevant document? 

Before Smart Sync was introduced I could use selective sync to make sure I had all relevant docs.  But this is no help at all.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
This information I provided is available in the Smart Sync article on the site.

The saving space automatically option marks files as online only if they haven't been used for a long period of time.

Since the right click option talks about the current state you want the file to be in, it's either online-only or local, to make it an immediate change to the files.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @dox_user, thanks for posting today!

If you want files to appear local on your machine, and you're using Smart Sync, you can right click the folders or files you need in Explorer/Finder, click Smart Sync and then Local.

This will download the files onto the machine, so you can edit them locally.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

dox_user
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks, that seems to solve my immediate problem.  Not sure why I couldn't find the solution on the help files/instructions.

However, this also confuses me.  Smart Sync seems to have three states for individual files or folders -- always local, always online, or local if recently used but otherwise online (smart, dynamic and saving local space where possible).  The toggle sync status you pointed me to seems to have just two states -- always local, always online.  What am I missing?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
This information I provided is available in the Smart Sync article on the site.

The saving space automatically option marks files as online only if they haven't been used for a long period of time.

Since the right click option talks about the current state you want the file to be in, it's either online-only or local, to make it an immediate change to the files.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

4RunnerVdub
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I too just purchased a laptop and added dropbox... my concern is the files or folders I download from email, etc,  do they automatically save to dropbox as a default?  My concern is that I downloaded something non -work related to my laptop and when i wanted to delete the file it asked if I'd like to delete if off of dropbox "too"?  If deleted is it putting my other files at risk of being deleted and how can I alter other downloads to default save into a different location or folder????  

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @4RunnerVdub, it depends on where you're saving these files. Are you saving them in the Dropbox folder, or another location on your computer?

If you get a message asking if it's okay to delete the file from Dropbox, then it will only affect the file in the Dropbox folder, and not in another location on your machine.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

weshigbee
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is there a central way to say for my account always have this folder local only? Then all machines logged in yank down that folder as local only on first install and if already installed the next time dropbox runs (or is running). I don't want to have to go to each folder on each machine to specify this... especially because some programs choke on the links that Smart Sync provides and can't seem to work to get the dropbox app to realize it needs to file and block it until its available... notably is settings syncs via dropbox like Tampermonkey in Google Chrome. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @weshigbee, thanks for joining us on this discussion. 

Since selective sync and Smart Sync are device-specific features, I'm afraid there's no direct setting to choose which items sync for every single device. 

However, you can post this as an idea, here, where other like-minded users can comment and upvote.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

4RunnerVdub
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

Okay, understood,  my next question is... for further dowloads from any work paper, email, etc,  when I download these documents,  how can i change the location of where it ends up... I do not want it in dropbox whatsoever. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@4RunnerVdub wrote:

for further dowloads from any work paper, email, etc,  when I download these documents,  how can i change the location of where it ends up... I do not want it in dropbox whatsoever. 

Dropbox doesn't control the location where you save downloaded files. That's up to whatever program you're using for the download. For instance, the save location for files you download in a web browser is controlled by the web browser.

Need more support?