cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make Dropbox not change "date modified"?

How to make Dropbox not change "date modified"?

RandallChristopher
Helpful | Level 6

I do not use Dropbox for ONE reason.  There is no way to upload a file to Dropbox without Dropbox CHANGING the "date modified."  I always sort my files by date modified, so this change which happens when backing up files to Dropbox wrecks my life.  Could you imagine if all your photos on your phone in one instant changed to the same date taken and were in a completely random order?

Why can't Dropbox do this very obvious functionality of simply not changing the date of the file????

I know if you have a Dropbox folder on your computer and sync this doesn't happen.  But I am trying to get files OFF my computer.  I want to be able to simply upload files to Dropbox without the files being changed.

Maybe there is some way to do this?  Or plans to?

4 Replies 4

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @RandallChristopher, thanks for posting here today! 

From what I understood, it seems you're using our mobile app to upload content to your Dropbox account, right? If not, please feel free to clarify. 

Also, just to make sure we're on the same page, do you use camera uploads or manual uploads

As for the date modified, that depends on how you sync the file to your account, and how the file is edited or saved. Generally, if a file in the Dropbox folder, and is then edited and saved, the modification date of the file would change to the current time.

Uploading any file from your machine to the Dropbox site would make the modification date to be that moment, even if the file was created on a different date.

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

RandallChristopher
Helpful | Level 6

@Megan thank you for replying.  What made you think I was using the mobile app?  I want to do manual uploads from my macbook.  I DO NOT WANT TO SYNC.  I simply want to add a backup copy of a file which is on my computer to Dropbox.  Again, Dropbox will do this, but it will change the "date modified."  If Dropbox will ever have functionality to allow me to copy a file from my computer to the cloud without changing the date of the file I will be a Dropbox customer immediately.  Until then I can never use Dropbox.  That makes me sad!  But I can't have my files' dates changed.  WHY DOES DROPBOX CHANGE THE DATES?  Seriously, what is the purpose of that?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @RandallChristopher, in general, if a file is uploaded directly to the Dropbox site, the modification and creation date are for that moment.

This is normal if you're uploading files to your account. The files are newly created on the Dropbox server, so their date will show the date that the file was created in Dropbox. This is the same as when you download a file from some website to your computer. The downloaded file will have the date and time of the download because the file is being newly created on your computer.

If you want to maintain the files' original modified date, you can use the Dropbox application on your computer and allow the files to sync to your account instead of manually uploading them.

In any case, I'll forward your feedback to the appropriate areas so we can continue to improve. Thanks!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

RandallChristopher
Helpful | Level 6

@Megan 

@Megan wrote:

The files are newly created on the Dropbox server, so their date will show the date that the file was created in Dropbox. This is the same as when you download a file from some website to your computer. The downloaded file will have the date and time of the download because the file is being newly created on your computer.

This analogy makes no sense.  What do people use Dropbox for?  Would you not say for BACKING UP FILES?  What external hard drive changes the date of the files when you copy a file over to it?  None.  None do that.  What thumb drive changes the date of the files when you copy them over?  None.  Google Drive does not do that.  I can open google drive in a browser and just drag files from my computer over.  Copied into the cloud.  Exactly as it is.  No date change.  Microsoft One Drive also.  If Dropbox would simply function like every other cloud storage / external hard drive / thumb drive I would use it for sure.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

RandallChristopher Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?