cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Links in excel not getting updated

Links in excel not getting updated

viveknaredi83
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

l

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @nnaredi, it would be worth noting that in Microsoft Excel, you can create links in a workbook to another workbook or file on your computer using a formula that references an external location. When this link is created, it points to a location on your own hard drive.

When your workbook is downloaded onto another's computer, the locations that your formula points to are no longer there. The link in the workbook is looking for a specific place, for example /Your_Computer/Your_User/File, and that location is no longer accessible from a different computer.

To learn more about relative and external paths in Excel please consult the following Microsoft support page:

While we are unable to support you in configuring Microsoft Excel to work the way you would like, we suggest perhaps using wildcards in your formulas. Wildcards, such as "%HOMEPATH%”, if other users have the Dropbox folder located in the default location, would let you point to a location without having to worry about different usernames in the path.

I hope that my advice points you towards the right direction, though please do let me know how my suggestions work for you on this discussion. Thanks again for posting us on our Forum & enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @viveknaredi83, just in order to understand what’s happening exactly, can you please clarify if you’re facing a similar issue to the one described here by any chance? 

Once I have this info, I’ll try to address your initial inquiry in a bit more detail. Thanks in advance for the time you’re devoting on the matter & I’ll be awaiting your next message on this discussion! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

nnaredi
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jane,

I have two excel files in different folders in dropbox.

I have linked cells from one file to the another but they are not getting updated.

let me know if you have any solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @nnaredi, it would be worth noting that in Microsoft Excel, you can create links in a workbook to another workbook or file on your computer using a formula that references an external location. When this link is created, it points to a location on your own hard drive.

When your workbook is downloaded onto another's computer, the locations that your formula points to are no longer there. The link in the workbook is looking for a specific place, for example /Your_Computer/Your_User/File, and that location is no longer accessible from a different computer.

To learn more about relative and external paths in Excel please consult the following Microsoft support page:

While we are unable to support you in configuring Microsoft Excel to work the way you would like, we suggest perhaps using wildcards in your formulas. Wildcards, such as "%HOMEPATH%”, if other users have the Dropbox folder located in the default location, would let you point to a location without having to worry about different usernames in the path.

I hope that my advice points you towards the right direction, though please do let me know how my suggestions work for you on this discussion. Thanks again for posting us on our Forum & enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

gdpfgudpf
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am busy creating an excel document that has various link to documents in other folders on my computer. I would like to share this so others in my department can use it as well (via dropbox) but once I have uploaded the original document to dropbox (with all the other folders containing the documents that the links point to) then when I click on the links in the excel document they cannot find the files.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@gdpfgudpf), I’ve moved your post here, in order to ping you on my suggestions above. Please have a look at your convenience & let me know how my advice works for you whenever you get a chance. Thanks for getting in touch on the Community on this matter! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    gdpfgudpf New member | Level 2
    nnaredi Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?