cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux symlinks pointing outside of Dropbox folder -- can I keep them without syncing their targets?

Linux symlinks pointing outside of Dropbox folder -- can I keep them without syncing their targets?

acfc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've noticed that my Dropbox icon is constantly syncing, which led me to this forum to investigate. I have a feeling it's related to how I'm using symlinks in my Dropbox folder, though I haven't found a question here that quite fits my needs.

What I have is a directory like Dropbox/projects, and this only contains symlinks out to project directories on local storage. I don't want to sync these external project files (which is the common use case I see described on the forum), instead, I just want the symlinks to sit there so I can follow them locally into various projects. What is the best approach?

One idea I have is to use the command line interface (which I just discovered) to exclude the symlinks. So this command

dropbox exclude add Dropbox/projects/*

seems to work just fine. However, I have another nested set of symlinks that I would need to exclude as well, preferably like this:

dropbox exclude add Dropbox/clients/*/projects/*

where the first * would be a wild card to match all client directories with any name (and then, I want to ignore the symlinks inside the projects directory for each client if that makes sense). However, this doesn't seem to match any files so I have a feeling the * isn't working as expected.

Anyway, would love some guidance on this, hopefully I can get the syncing to stop running non-stop!

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

acfc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ok, I've figured out that this had nothing at all to do with symlinks! The real problem was that I had a couple instances of VSCode open, which added a ton of files to the system watchers limit. I closed everything down, restarted my laptop, and the syncing finished as expected. Then I "unexcluded" all of the symlinks I had excluded initially, and they sync just fine (not syncing their target content, just existing as pointers to directories).

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

acfc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Oh, I figured out the second question there about the * pattern not working... I had the path in quotes and when I removed the quotes it matched all of the files I wanted just fine :). However, I'm still getting the constant syncing so I'll keep investigating.

acfc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ok, I've figured out that this had nothing at all to do with symlinks! The real problem was that I had a couple instances of VSCode open, which added a ton of files to the system watchers limit. I closed everything down, restarted my laptop, and the syncing finished as expected. Then I "unexcluded" all of the symlinks I had excluded initially, and they sync just fine (not syncing their target content, just existing as pointers to directories).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

acfc New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?