cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misplaced Dropbox and can't access my files through the menu bar anymore

Misplaced Dropbox and can't access my files through the menu bar anymore

blBr3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I migrated to my new MacBook. Dropbox was fully functional but no icon in the menu bar. I downloaded desktop app in an attempt to restore the icon. Now I have a new icon that links to a new, free account. The contents of my old dropbox are there buried in a folder call "Old Dropbox". Can't find them online at all. Just a new empty Dropbox. I have an old personal account without access to live help. I haven't been able to crack their defenses. Just want my dropbox of the last 12 years back an to access it thru the menu bar. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @blBr3, you can follow these steps to sign out of the Dropbox desktop application. Once done, you can sign into your correct account with all your files in it.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @blBr3, thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to see you're having trouble with this.

From what I can understand, you signed into the Dropbox application with a new account, instead of your old/main one.

I think what you need to figure out first here, is the email address of your old account.

If you know it, try to login online, to see if you can locate your files and then sign out of the new account on the app, to sign in with your old one.

If you don't know the address, try to look through your emails to see if you can find emails from Dropbox, that might give you a hint.

If your old account is a paid one, you can also use our lookup tool, to locate the email address.

Let me know how it goes.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

blBr3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks Hannah,

I was able to get a sign in via my password and corrected ID. It went thru the motions but ended up showing me a kitty with an umbrella an a message: Something went wrong 5XX. Likewise the other attempt with the Credit Card code failed. Meanwhile (yesterday) I created a new ID in order to access this forum. Will that cause me more grief?

Thanks for your help

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@blBr3 wrote:

It went thru the motions but ended up showing me a kitty with an umbrella an a message: Something went wrong 5XX.

There's currently a service interruption. Wait a while and try again.

c3362fb87546d929834047bc72eb0b9f.png

blBr3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks Rich,

I logged in with a corrected email and there are all my old files! Now Im trying to get the icon in menu bar to represent my Mac's dropbox files.

blBr3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Would it help to get rid of new unwanted 2GB account? How is that done. I think my old (and much wanted) 2TB account is functional as a file but not showing on the menu bar

or linking with the online account

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @blBr3, you can follow these steps to sign out of the Dropbox desktop application. Once done, you can sign into your correct account with all your files in it.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

blBr3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I was able to sign out and then in to my regular dropbox. Dropbox didn't come right back to the menu bar but its there now and works again to access desktop or online folder. Thanks so much for your help.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

blBr3 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?