cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password for shared file not requested

Password for shared file not requested

marplatense
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi! Probably I am ignoring something blatantly obvious so apologies in advance.

I have business standard plan. I want to share the content of a new folder with somebody from an external company so I upload a file to this folder and set password require for the file as seen in the attached screenshot. I sent the invitation, it was opened following the link and this person could access the file and no password was requested AFAIK (this person already has a personal dropbox account).

marplatense_0-1661613874095.png

Extra question: why this person appears as External Participant in the activity log and not identified with his username (since he has a dropbox account, although he is not included in my company's teams).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@marplatense wrote:

... I upload a file to this folder and set password require for the file ... I sent the invitation ... this person could access the file and no password was requested ...

Did you send them a shared link, which would require the password, or did you invite them to the folder? If you sent them an invitation, then you're adding them as a member of the folder which will require a Dropbox account, but won't require the password. The password is only required when you send a shared link.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@marplatense wrote:

... I upload a file to this folder and set password require for the file ... I sent the invitation ... this person could access the file and no password was requested ...

Did you send them a shared link, which would require the password, or did you invite them to the folder? If you sent them an invitation, then you're adding them as a member of the folder which will require a Dropbox account, but won't require the password. The password is only required when you send a shared link.

marplatense
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you, spot on.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

marplatense New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?