cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Reactivating Dropbox on a previous device ...

Reactivating Dropbox on a previous device ...

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 6

I have a MacBook Air M2 (MBA) running Ventura.  I previously installed Dropbox (DB) on that computer but had to stop syncing because I  wanted to run it on 3 other devices.

When using my MBA again, I launched DB.  I had to unselect one of my other DB devices. When DB began, I thought it was verifying my files to match them with the version since my last connection.  In fact, I later realized that it renamed my previous DB folder already in the ~Library/CloudStorage folder, created a new one and synced my files all over again.

When that came to a completion, I could see a DB alias folder in the root of my user folder pointing to the new DB folder location just beside my previous one.

I really don't understand why DB did not simply synced my previous DB folder with the cloud version instead of creating a new one all over again.  My only possible clue is that when the original DB folder was created and updated to work with OS 12.5 and earlier, I trashed the alias folder that DB created in the root of my user folder, folder that has been created again with this new installation.

What am I missing or what have I done wrong ?

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @rlesperance, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It's possible that due to the amount of time between when you disconnected that device and then signed in on it again, that to ensure the latest version of files from the site, the app created the new Dropbox folder.

Are the files currently syncing normally on your account now?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 6

The new Dropbox (DB) seem to be syncing correctly.  The only thing I am sure, is that my old DB folder as been renamed and is inactive.  The new one is normally active but that does not explain why DB has created a new one.

Would having deleted the alias DB created in the root of my user folder be the reason for that ?  I don't think that it is a relevant cause but who knows.

LynnDbx
Dropbox Staff

Hi,

Deleting the symlink (aka the alias file) did not cause this behavior. I just confirmed manually myself that if you sign out now and sign back in, it should re-use your previous Dropbox folder. This is also the case for the version of Dropbox which stores your Dropbox folder in ~/Library/CloudStorage.

However, this behavior was different a while ago for this version of Dropbox. When did you sign out and then when did you sign back in to this device?

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 6

Hello LynnDbx,

Sorry for not replying to your April message.  I cannot remember how long it was between the 2 connections.  Your guess that it was too long between the 2 connections must be the reason for this behavior.

I just wanted to do the same thing yesterday.  This time instead of forcing me to put the Dropbox folder in the Library>CloudStorage folder, it offered me to put it wherever I wished like in the past.  

Do I understand that, now, on any computer (MacBook or iMac) running Ventura 13,5, I can put the Dropbox folder wherever I want like in the past ?

Thanks for helping.

LynnDbx
Dropbox Staff

You can now always chose the location of your Dropbox folder when you sign in, but if you alter the location, that means you will be on the previous Dropbox experience without the fix for opening certain online-only files in third-party applications that come with the File Provider API.

Need more support?