cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Really Understanding Dropbox Backup

Really Understanding Dropbox Backup

Stephen S.32
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am a scientist that has used Dropbox (DB) for about 12 years.  I have a 2TB family plan and only have used 15% of it.  My OS is Mac Sierra (10.12.6) with 32GB of RAM.  I use the Finder a lot more than most Mac Users. My DB files are in a subfolder of my user (home) folder.  Here are my 2 questions: 

1. In the past I was told that only the desktop and files in documents can be backed up with DB backup. Is this still true or can my hard drive folders and files in my User (Home) folder be backup up with the new DB upgrades?

2. Given my work and the long time I have used DB, I have 250 GB within the DB main folder (with many subfolders and files. Will the backup, after it initially syncs, slow my computer's operations by eating up a lot of User memory, or is this an incremental backup that rapidly updates those new folders and files (the way SuperDuper does and also Time Machine).  I cannot afford to have a slow computer due to RAM consumption. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Stephen S.32, thanks for contacting us.

The computer backup feature only works with certain system folders on your machine, namely the Desktop, Documents and Downloads folder.

The way it works is that it moves those folders into the Dropbox folder itself, and syncs them like it would with normal files in the Dropbox folder. Generally, the initial sync would take a little time and machine resources, like with any major change. 

Regarding RAM consumption in the future, this would depend on the number of files on your account, as a large number can result in decreased performance in the app.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Cowbell
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Similarly, I'd be curious to know if Dropbox can now simply backup other than the few Windows folders such as Documents, Pictures, etc. On Windows it moves such folders' contents into Dropbox rather than leaving those folders/files in their original place (not desirable from a user's POV).

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Stephen S.32, thanks for contacting us.

The computer backup feature only works with certain system folders on your machine, namely the Desktop, Documents and Downloads folder.

The way it works is that it moves those folders into the Dropbox folder itself, and syncs them like it would with normal files in the Dropbox folder. Generally, the initial sync would take a little time and machine resources, like with any major change. 

Regarding RAM consumption in the future, this would depend on the number of files on your account, as a large number can result in decreased performance in the app.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Cowbell
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution
How would a user undo the backup process such that those system folders would work as if Dropbox Backup hadn’t been employed?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Cowbell! I hope you’re doing well. 

Before disabling computer backup, please make sure that your desktop app is up to date, and that it’s not still syncing your files. 

After that, you can follow these steps, in order to turn off backup on your device and return your folders to their original locations. 

I hope this helps.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Cowbell
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution
@Nancy
Thanks, I’ll give that a try if I decide to turn off Backup. Also, I have a suggestion which is Dropbox should make clear what the backup process entails as part of a user consent/confirmation. When I had originally implemented Backups on a couple of computers I was surprised at the system changes that were made.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your feedback here, @Cowbell.

I will make sure that your comments are passed along to our team.

If you need anything else, make sure to let us know.

Have a great day!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

cromaney
Explorer | Level 3

The idea that Dropbox only "backup" system files from my computer makes sense. My PC hard drive has multiple sub-directories that are NOT being backup on DB because they are not in the system files.  I would like to start backing up those sub directories.  Can you give me some ideas on how I can start using DB to backup those sub directories?  In the past I have tried to create sub-dirctories/files under the DB icon on my PC desktop.  This has not worked. I need some pointers on how I can start optimizing my system files to include the files stored on my PC's HD.

Rich
Super User II

@cromaney wrote:

My PC hard drive has multiple sub-directories that are NOT being backup on DB because they are not in the system files.  I would like to start backing up those sub directories.

Dropbox can only sync the files in your Dropbox folder, and it can only back up your key folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc.). It can't sync or backup folders located elsewhere.

If you want Dropbox to sync a file or folder located elsewhere on your computer, you'll need to move it in to your local Dropbox folder. If you want Dropbox to backup that file or folder (instead of sync it), you'll need to move it into one of the key system folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc.) and enable the Backup feature for that folder.

Need more support?