cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Folder vs Link and how other members can identify & locate them?

Shared Folder vs Link and how other members can identify & locate them?

ctctc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have a project where I have shared a folder with viewing rights with various team members. They are constantly plaguing me with requests to send them links to this folder presumably because they can't find the email they received with the initial invitation. Once they accept that initial invitation, shouldn't that shared folder show up in their dropbox account? Wouldn't best practices require them to manage their own account so that they know where things are for easy access? If I send them a link with viewing rights, couldn't anyone with that link access the shared folder? That doesn't seem like a good best practice!? How do you handle these requests? PLMK. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @ctctc, let's jump right into this! 

When you add someone to a shared folder these things happen: an email is sent to the member, asking them to add the folder to their Dropbox account. 

Let's just say that someone doesn't receive this email (for whatever reason). They should be able to access their account's sharing tab, and find the folder ready to be added there. 

Keep in mind, that they would require space, in order to add said folder to their accounts, since it's taking up space on both the sender's and the receiver's. 

As for the shared link, essentially anyone with the link can access the folder, correct. 

I hope this clarifies! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @ctctc, let's jump right into this! 

When you add someone to a shared folder these things happen: an email is sent to the member, asking them to add the folder to their Dropbox account. 

Let's just say that someone doesn't receive this email (for whatever reason). They should be able to access their account's sharing tab, and find the folder ready to be added there. 

Keep in mind, that they would require space, in order to add said folder to their accounts, since it's taking up space on both the sender's and the receiver's. 

As for the shared link, essentially anyone with the link can access the folder, correct. 

I hope this clarifies! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?