cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sharing Folders - is there a limit?

Sharing Folders - is there a limit?

CAMP
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have only used 53 GB of my 1 TB of space on Dropbox. I've shared several folders with a work colleague but she is now getting messages that her dropbox is full. She does not have a subscription. Is there a limit on the size of the total files she can share from me?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @CAMP - let me clarify this for you!

In short, yes there is; her own account's quota allowance yet you can share a link to the folder with her and then have her upload the files after she has edited them(if needed) through a file request you'd need to open up from your end.

Read on for more context and possible solutions :wink:

Spoiler

A Dropbox account's quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders. A Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, so a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. Because every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the shared folder, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

If you'd like to share a folder without impacting the recipient's quota, you can share a link to the folder, instead which allows users to view or download a one-way, read-only copy of the folder.

If you'd like others to upload files to your Dropbox account without impacting the submitters quota, you can send a file request  which enables a requester to have files uploaded to their Dropbox account by other individuals. 

If she just needs a little more space on her own account, you can have her visit the following pages on our website to see how our users can earn bonus space: 

Finally, if you are interested in sharing a quota pool between multiple users, we do have a Dropbox Business subscription. You can read more about Dropbox Business on our website here:  https://www.dropbox.com/business

I hope this helps to some extent and please let me know if there's anything else you'd like to ask!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

davidmatero
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I created a folder and shared with multiple contacts to enable them to upload files. However, when they try to upload files they receive a message that there is not enough space "To add this folder, you'll need more space in your dropbox". I have plenty of space available so not sure why my contacts are having problems uploading to my folders I created.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @CAMP - let me clarify this for you!

In short, yes there is; her own account's quota allowance yet you can share a link to the folder with her and then have her upload the files after she has edited them(if needed) through a file request you'd need to open up from your end.

Read on for more context and possible solutions :wink:

Spoiler

A Dropbox account's quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders. A Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, so a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. Because every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the shared folder, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

If you'd like to share a folder without impacting the recipient's quota, you can share a link to the folder, instead which allows users to view or download a one-way, read-only copy of the folder.

If you'd like others to upload files to your Dropbox account without impacting the submitters quota, you can send a file request  which enables a requester to have files uploaded to their Dropbox account by other individuals. 

If she just needs a little more space on her own account, you can have her visit the following pages on our website to see how our users can earn bonus space: 

Finally, if you are interested in sharing a quota pool between multiple users, we do have a Dropbox Business subscription. You can read more about Dropbox Business on our website here:  https://www.dropbox.com/business

I hope this helps to some extent and please let me know if there's anything else you'd like to ask!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey David (@davidmatero) - I just moved your post under this thread as I feel it best addresses your concerns. 

At your earliest convenience, take a look at my reply above and let me know if it helped!

In the meantime, have a lovely day/night ahead guys ( @CAMP & @davidmatero).

Walter
dropbox.com/support

CAMP
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Walter. It does help. The once piece that I was missing was that her limit is 2GB without paying for a plan and she's just over that. The challenge is that we jointly work on projects, and she would have to request the files from me versus just going into dropbox and completing the work.

Need more support?