cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sharing folders

Sharing folders

rob7c
Explorer | Level 3

I have a paid account with 2tb of space. When I try to share a folder with people sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't allow it. They get a notification saying " to add this folder you'll need more space in your dropbox".

Why would they need more space in their dropbox when it is being shared from my storage? I'm supposed to be able to share folders with unlimited number of people.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@rob7c wrote:
Why would they need more space in their dropbox when it is being shared from my storage? I'm supposed to be able to share folders with unlimited number of people.

Because it's not being shared from your storage. When you share a folder, they get their own copy in their account which syncs with yours, and they need to have enough space in their account to hold the entire folder. You're able to share with unlimited people, but they need space in their account for anything that you share with them.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@rob7c wrote:

Because it's not being shared from your storage. When you share a folder, they get their own copy in their account which syncs with yours, and they need to have enough space in their account to hold the entire folder. You're able to share with unlimited people, but they need space in their account for anything that you share with them.

rob7c
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks Rich. If I upgrade to an account with 3+ users does this allow other people access files without upgrading their own account?

Rich
Super User II

@rob7c wrote:
If I upgrade to an account with 3+ users does this allow other people access files without upgrading their own account?

You seem to be referring to a Business team account that has a minimum of three users. When someone joins a team, their account is merged into the team account. Basically, you become the owner of their account and they use one of your licenses. All member of a team have access to the team space.

Need more support?