cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Showing files from a shared access dropbox in my file explorer

Showing files from a shared access dropbox in my file explorer

StWilfrids
Explorer | Level 3

Can I show files and folders from a dropbox that I'm not the owner of, but have shared access to in my File Explorer in Windows 10?

Many thanks

Ian

9 Replies 9

Jane
Dropbox Staff

Hey StWilfrids

Thanks for getting in touch with us on the Dropbox Community! 

Just to clarify, are you accessing this account through a shared device (on your office for instance)? Please note that, for security reasons, we advise that users avoid sharing an account (and subsequently credentials) across devices. If you were granted access to the account regardless, please bear in mind that the Dropbox folder on this computer is just like a regular folder, so whoever accesses it can automatically view/ share/ move etc.  its contents. 

Hope this helps you clarify! If you need further asssistance, please let me know here. 

Kind regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

StWilfrids
Explorer | Level 3

JaneA

Good morning

Very many thanks for your kind and much appreciated response to my question.

The scenario I'm faced with as voluntary administrator for St Wilfred's Church, Brayton, Selby, North Yorkshire, is that a controlled and authorised group within the Church who say, administer communications for focus and support groups, fund raising, wedding, baptism and funeral arrangements etc. need access to a range of consistent and properly maintained information support files, e.g. Names and Addresses. Currently, each function has their own information files that although they are supposed to be the same, i.e. consistent, for obvious reasons aren't.

This potentially exposes the Church to failing to comply with the Data Protection Act (1998).

The sort of people in these Church groups are generally older people (like me) with little or no IT expertise (fortunately unlike me, I've worked in IT for over 50 years).  Consequently, they need systems and methods of access to information that are straightforward and easy to use.

Dropbox is just the facility to support this objective.

So essentially, what I need to setup is a single Dropbox account, i.e. admin@stwilfridsparish.com that all those needing and having authority to, can access.

The problem I have is that whilst the 'owner' of the Dropbox account (me, on the Church's laptop) sees the folders and files under Dropbox in Windows File Explorer, all other users can only see and access the files and folders via web access. All users will have the same rights of access. There is no specific owner or super user.  From a simplicity point of view, I really need all users to see the files and folders under Dropbox in Windows File Explorer, i.e. just as they see and access any folder or file that's stored on their laptop. Is there a way that I can do this? It would solve a ginormous operational problem for me, if I can.

Apologies for such a lot of detail, but I just feel it's likely to be helpful, if you understand the background to my question.

In anticipation of your kind and very much appreciated assistance.

Kindest regards 

Ian

Rich
Super User II

As @Jane mentioned, you really shouldn't share account credentials, but it sounds like everyone already is if they're logging into the Dropbox website. Ideally, the way to handle this would be that each person had their own private account, and a folder would be shared with each of them, and the files common to everyone would be moved into the shared folder.

If each user installs the Dropbox client on their computer, then a Dropbox folder would be created and all of the files would be downloaded to the computer and accessible in Explorer.

StWilfrids
Explorer | Level 3

@Rich wrote:

As @Jane mentioned, you really shouldn't share account credentials, but it sounds like everyone already is if they're logging into the Dropbox website. Ideally, the way to handle this would be that each person had their own private account, and a folder would be shared with each of them, and the files common to everyone would be moved into the shared folder.

If each user installs the Dropbox client on their computer, then a Dropbox folder would be created and all of the files would be downloaded to the computer and accessible in Explorer.

Rich

Many thanks

This is fantastic!

However, I think that I might need a little bit more direction.

What I've already tried to do, as suggested in the last paragraph of your kind response, is to install Dropbox on each individual's laptop that needs to access the admin@stwilfridsparish.com Dropbox files and folders.

However, it won't let me register them as admin@stwilfridsparish.com.  I get a message saying 'this account already exists'.  So the only way I seem to be able to install Dropbox for them is to use their own unique email address.  The only problem is that whilst Dropbox is then listed in Windows File Explorer, it doesn't automatically show me folders and files from admin@stwilfridsparish.com

Is there some way within a Dropbox account say, me@gmail.com that I could get folders and files from admin@stwilfridsparish.com to be automatically listed under my Dropbox folder within my Windows 10 File Explorer?

If you are able to provide me with instructions on how to do this, I will be forever greatful!!

Many thanks

Kindest regards

Ian

Mark
Super User II
Hi Ian,

You are right in that you need to install Dropbox on to each individuals machine with their own email address and password.

Once you've done that you need to share a folder between all people. You can do that at www.dropbox.com/share (see www.dropbox.com/help/19).

All of the people will then need to accept the share and it will appear on there account as well 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

StWilfrids
Explorer | Level 3

@Mark wrote:
Hi Ian,

You are right in that you need to install Dropbox on to each individuals machine with their own email address and password.

Once you've done that you need to share a folder between all people. You can do that at www.dropbox.com/share (see www.dropbox.com/help/19).

All of the people will then need to accept the share and it will appear on there account as well 🙂

Many thanks for your kind response.

Sorry, I clicked on the 'Accept as Solution' by mistake.

I've followed the instructions using the link to /help/19, but when I enter a valid email address and click Add, I get a message saying Windows doesn't recognise the email address.

Are you able to advise me as to why it's not being accepted.

Many thanks

Ian

Jane
Dropbox Staff

Hey StWilfrids

Thanks for the prompt reply! 

Would you mind using the website instead and see if this works for you?

Please let me know if you experience further issues with that! 

Kind regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

StWilfrids
Explorer | Level 3

@JaneA wrote:

Hey StWilfrids

Thnaks for the prompt reply! 

Would you mind using the website instead and see if this works for you?

Please let me know if you experience further issues with that! 

Kind regards, 
JaneA

JaneA

Good afternoon

Apologies for the delay in replying.  Yes, that did solve the problem.

Many thanks for your kind and very much appreciated assistance.

Kindest regards

Ian

Jane
Dropbox Staff

Hey StWilfrids

So glad to hear that this has been resolved!

Because your opinion really matters, would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using the Dropbox Community? Please include your feedback and let us know if there's anything we can do to improve. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT 

Please feel free to get baack in touch here if there's anything else we could help with. 

Kind regards, 
JaneA 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?