cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable To Upload To A Remote Directory

Unable To Upload To A Remote Directory

dmi1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm trying to upload files to a Remote Directory in Dropbox that was shared with me. But I am unable to upload anything in there. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? 

Many thanks,

dmi1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@dmi1 wrote:

So I was sent a link to the remote directory ...

You were likely sent a view-only shared link, which does not allow you to upload or edit the content of the folder.

If you need to upload files to someone else, they either need to send you an Edit shared link, invite you to a shared folder, or they can send you a File Request. You'll need to contact the person that sent you the link.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@dmi1 wrote:

I'm trying to upload files to a Remote Directory in Dropbox that was shared with me. But I am unable to upload anything in there. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Is this a shared folder that you've been invited to? If so, do you have enough space available in your account for the files you're uploading? Remember, shared folders that you're a member of take up space in your account.

If that's not the case, you'll need to give us more information about how you've been given access and how you're trying to upload.

dmi1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks so much for the reply!

So I was sent a link to the remote directory but there is no option for me to upload anything to the directory. In other words, I see no Upload button. So I tried to upload some files by dragging and dropping but that does not work.

Any idea what's going on here?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@dmi1 wrote:

So I was sent a link to the remote directory ...

You were likely sent a view-only shared link, which does not allow you to upload or edit the content of the folder.

If you need to upload files to someone else, they either need to send you an Edit shared link, invite you to a shared folder, or they can send you a File Request. You'll need to contact the person that sent you the link.

dmi1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks again! I sent your answer to the person that I am working with. I'll keep you posted as soon as I hear back!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dmi1 Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?