cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open "Online Only" files without setting them to "Local" first

Unable to open "Online Only" files without setting them to "Local" first

hunterm
Explorer | Level 4

A user at a company I provide IT support for just upgraded to Windows 10 Enterprise from Windows 10 Home. Upon creation of the new profile and setting up dropbox, it was noticed that the user is unable to open any files without setting the individual file to "local" prior to attempting to open. I searched through community posts and could find no solutions, just several generic answers and then "let's move this to emails" with no follow-up. 

Already tried: uninstalling and reinstalling both apps, deleting all files and resyncing to "online only", using "selective sync" to unselect folders and readd them to the sync list. I'm sure there's other things that were tried but it's been quite a long day trying to simply access files without having to manually change the backup mode for each one.

25 Replies 25

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hey @hunterm, welcome to our Community! 

Does this happen with a specific file type or with all of them? 

Also, does the user get any error messages when trying to double-click on online-only files, and if so, what is the message? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TracerW
Explorer | Level 3

I have this same problem, having just moved to Windows 11. The Dropbox app does not show any files or directories. It always worked perfectly on W10, and also on my iPad. (I can access all the files etc from W11 by going to the Dropbox.com website). 

hunterm
Explorer | Level 4

It is with all files that are "online-only" until they've been marked "local"

The error message is different depending on the software that attempts to open the file but is normally some form of "this file may be corrupted" or "This file has an invalid file extension."

I don't want the user to have to download Over 50gb of files just to be able to access their cloud-based file storage.

hunterm
Explorer | Level 4

I'm not sure what you mean, the files and folders are showing fine in my scenario. The user I described is also not on W11. You may need to check the "selective syncing" option in the dropbox preferences and select all files.

hunterm
Explorer | Level 4

@Megan just to be clear, the first response is to you

TracerW
Explorer | Level 3

It seems that I can now access files via the Dropbox app (or directories on the pc) only so long as they are not marked selective sync. This seems to be different from the previous operation, and is different from my iPad app through which I can access all my Dropbox files, as I can via the Dropbox website. In order to view (or more particularly to copy files to another app such as a print or album application), I can unmark, say, a folder, “selective sync”. That folder then becomes instantly available to use or view from the pc. Having done so, I can return to the preferences and re-mark the folder “selective sync”, and it doesn’t then reside on my hard drive. This workaround works well for me. 

hunterm
Explorer | Level 4

TracerW, your reply is still entirely unrelated to the issue that this thread is about. Thank you for your insights, but I'm waiting to hear back on the issue my end user is having.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @TracerW & @hunterm!

Tracer, great troubleshooting steps on your end, and keep in mind that this is expected. 

This is how our selective sync feature works, since it helps you remove files from your hard drive without deleting them from your device. 

Also, Hunter, I'd suggest that your client contacts our support team.

They would need to check some account-specific info on their end in order to locate what could be causing this, and the best way to do so would be directly with them.

If you do so, feel free to send me the reference ticket number. 

Thank you both!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

hunterm
Explorer | Level 4

The support link you provided has 2 options: Contact a bot that provides irrelevant results, or post here. I am providing the support for this user, is there no more helpful method to continue contact on this issue? 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    NDR2 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?