cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upload / Sync Pictures Folder to Dropbox

Upload / Sync Pictures Folder to Dropbox

HelloHoffy
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I'm setting up dropbox for the first time and my main reason is to store my huge photo/video library in the cloud to freeup hardrive space. I can't work out how to do this and from reading other forums it appears this function isn't available with dropbox and the only way to get around it is to move the mac's default 'Pictures' folder into Dropbox? 

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @HelloHoffy, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

One way you could go about this, is to install the Dropbox application and then move only the contents of the Library/Pictures folder into the Dropbox folder.

The Dropbox folder will be created once you install the application and will sync any files you have in Dropbox to your computer.

If you then want to free up the space the photos are taking up, you can use our selective sync feature.

I'd suggest you up-vote this idea as well; it refers to our automatic backup feature, which would be helpful for you in this case, so you can show your support, if you want.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

HelloHoffy
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes that was what I assumed I would need to do which would mean it's not the set and forget option for storage/backup I was hoping to use paid dropbox for. I'll then have to manually move any photos across from Pictures in future. Not the ideal option, but a work around to free up some space. If dropbox can add 'Pictures' to it's default folders to select a backup for that would be amazing!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @HelloHoffy - thanks for your feedback on this. It's been noted in our system.

Please let us know if you have anything else to add. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?