cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Uploads get stuck

Uploads get stuck

michael campbell
Explorer | Level 4

During the past few weeks I've needed to upload several 15GB .rar files.  Each time, the upload process gets stuck on 9 minutes or so remaining.  I have to refresh the browser and then start uploading again from scratch.  Usually the second time it works fine.

I'm using an up to date google chrome on windows 10 professional.

I notice quite a few people are reporting the same problem on this forum.  The help chat wasn't useful at all, basically suggesting I try again in incognito mode, so I can help them pinpoint the problem.  I don't think as a paying customer I should be expected to spend time troubleshooting the problem for Dropbox.  Surely they have server logs they can refer to for quickly identifying server issues?

18 Replies 18

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info on this matter. I'd recommend contacting the support team directly for further assistance to investigate further.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

michael campbell
Explorer | Level 4

I give up then, because that's where I started.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @michael campbell, just to clarify, if the files you added to the Dropbox folder haven't fully synced first, you won't be able to make them 'online-only'.

What's the sync status of the Dropbox app? You can hover over the Dropbox icon in your system tray, to see this info.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

ashleywchism
Helpful | Level 5

We are all having the same issue and do not have internet connection issues, so what is dropbox going to do to fix this problem? Would like to cancel if I am not going to be able to upload videos to store and share when paying for a subscription to do just that. This has been going on for almost 2 weeks and that is very frustrating as a consumer.

itissid
Helpful | Level 5

I can report this too. Please see the video link below. As you can see from the link, I can upload other files(i.e. internet is fine) but not this specific one in the video (stuck at 55MB).

And for god’s sake, fix the **bleep** issue with manual uploads. We are paying customers what Level of Service are you providing here when 3 people have reported an issue and its been months since there has been no real progress on it?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/axqaggd2qnb2nw6xshb4j/Dropbox-gets-stuck-with-a-stable-internet-conne...

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @itissid - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Have you tried clearing your browser's cache or using another browser, preferably with no extensions or plugins running since you first noticed this?

If you did and this persists, could you rename the file and try again?

Let us know of any updates!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

itissid
Helpful | Level 5

Yep, I have tried this with two different browsers in incognito mode on 2 different OSs (Windows and MacOS). The issue is persistent.

Do you guys do like, I don't know QA? I hear its quite useful for products and services sold by multi billion dollar companies. I would try uploading a large set of files with enough variance in size on a set of sandboxed browsers to see if it triggers an issue. And if that last bit does not make sense, please have someone from the development team chime in here.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for your feedback here, @itissid.

Can we send you an email, so we can take a deeper look?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

michael campbell
Explorer | Level 4

After months of trying to persuade the support team to escalate to their technical department, they finally did.  Obviously they still haven't fixed the issue on the browser side, but this is what I've done to get uploads working.  I downloaded the windows app, and the problem was still there.  Eventually the support staff decided to escalate to the technical department as mentioned above, and they found that it was a bug on their server that was causing uploads over a certain size to fail when there was 5mb left.  The bug was fixed on the app, and I got 3 months free for the inconvenience.  

Bugs can happen, but I think the main fault lies with the support staff who seem to want to avoid escalating issues to the technical staff at all costs.  This makes getting a resolution extremely long winded and frustrating.  I assume this is also what's holding up the browser bug getting resolved.

Need more support?