cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: When will Smart Sync work on linux?

When will Smart Sync work on linux?

edugsdf
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I need to save space on my hard drive. Smart Sync would be the perfect solution, but it still does not work on linux fedora.

When will we have this solution?

179 Replies 179

Ferenc F.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Cancel if you get no service! I agree! I will do so too!

To the Guys at DropBox: You will loose your customers if you do not service them!!! It is end of April 2019 and it is still not on Linux. That is not acceptable! I am surprised how you still can look in the eyes of your PAYING customers when you knowingly doesn't give a sh*t or a flying f**k about giving proper SERVICE if it is not implemented soon I wish you go out of business, the same way you F**k over your PAYING customers.

Hypersphere
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I completely rely on Drobox to sync large numbers of files and folders among my 12 computers -- 6 running Windows and 6 running Linux (Linux Mint 19.1 Xfce 64-bit LTS, based on Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit LTS).

It turns out that I am getting by using just Selective Sync. I have actually not tried Smart Sync on any of my systems. Nevertheless, I believe that Dropbox ought to try their best to achive cross-platform parity; i.e., the feature set ought to be the same for Linux, Mac, and Windows.

In fairness, however, it is difficult to produce products for "linux", because linux is not a single OS. There are a number of kernel versions in use, different linux families (e.g., Debian/Ubuntu-based and RHEL-based, with at least 100 different distros, and several different desktop environments and/or window managers. In addition, there are linux-like OSs in use, such as unix and BSD.

AUserCAAP
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why is this marked as SOLVED ?  it is not solved.  All the workaround posted is useless. I can't use SmartSync on Linux, thats it.  The selective sync is an ugly patch.  Produce an install for the main distros, all others are based on the main ones, it could be a .tar,   a .deb a .rpm and thats it.

DavidParker
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It forced me to upgrade to this plan recently. Are you telling me that feature is not available? Isnt that a bit like stealing my money?

ClausO
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yeah, it is totally baaaddd businesss and marketing and totally do not give back to the Linux community from where DropBox and other companies just Abusing the Power of Linux. USE Windows Server or Mac Server or UNIX server and stop using Linux on your server level DropBox or just simple become straight with that gave you the possibility to run your business on the level you are!!!!!

Unbelievable!!!! Still no solution on this!!!!!

charnik
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Recently i switched from free to paid Dropbox account just for the Linux support and now i found that smart sync not working only in Linux! This has to be fixed, but i suspect no one is paying attention...

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Hypersphere,

I can't agree, that linux isn't a single OS. Linux is single OS with multiple distributions (in fact tree of distributions). Of course, like anyone OS, there are different versions. I don't know exactly why Dropbox ignore Linux support, but there are FUSE capabilities available for everyone (present day) linux distributions. Just, single code piece is enough for support. Probably Dropbox dosen't heard about FUSE:laughing:, they know only Ext4. Seems just company politics...

Hypersphere
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

One reason I think of linux not being a single OS is when I attempt to install and run software that is supported for RHEL or a clone such as CentOS on a Ubuntu-based distro such as Linux Mint. Various required libraries from RHEL do not have direct counterparts in Ubuntu, and it can be very difficult to gather the required files to get the RHEL-supported application to run on Ubuntu.

In my own case, I do not have a problem with Dropbox, because I do not use SmartSync. I am just glad that there is basic linux support. All too often with various applications, there is support for Windows and perhaps MacOS, but linux support is completely absent.

Nevertheless, I do agree that if a given application, such as Dropbox, is going to claim cross-platform support for Linux, MacOS, and Windows, ideally the application ought to have the same features across all supported platforms.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Hypersphere, I partially agree with You. Just one clarification - RHEL use much older versions than Ubuntu and Fedora! So would be no problem to transfer application from RHEL to Fedora for example, which isn't true in opposite direction. Anyway to support 'SmartSync', FUSE availability is enough, which is true in all cases (or at least could be added very easy).

DavidParker
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Welcome to the Dropbox community; no one cares for linux users.
Need more support?