cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: When will Smart Sync work on linux?

When will Smart Sync work on linux?

edugsdf
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I need to save space on my hard drive. Smart Sync would be the perfect solution, but it still does not work on linux fedora.

When will we have this solution?

180 Replies 180

Clem R.2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am becoming increasingly irritated that I am getting an inferior service.

Hakan B.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I can understand that implementing the same thing is somewhat more complicated under Linux, but at least if we can have some communication from Dropbox themselves about it, it'd be great.

Other than this and git style ignore files, I'm pretty happy with Dropbox so far. I can nitpick about this and that, but these issues are not technical.

oidarnam
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, it is definitely past due for Smart Sync for Linux!

Tangvip
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

really I am seeing this feature request from 2018 and now three years later there is still no plan or timeline or what so ever?

Dropbox could you please bring this up? a good SW company should consider bringing up the same feature to all major platform. At least I consider Linux is a major platform. 

tim32
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

We need this as well for ubuntu server installations

forcefullpower
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How can you say that this requires more support there have been loads of thread for this going back to 2018. We pay the same price as other operating systems but get less features.

TheMotizzle
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We absolutely need Smart Sync in Linux. Linux is my main platform at work and home and smart sync is the deciding factor keeping us from deploying Dropbox company wide. Selective sync uses far too much bandwidth and drive space.

mark771
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That's really bad that the feature is not available on Linux. As if nobody uses Linux... Eye roll... 🙄

pops34
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

In our company our workstations are all under Linux but with telecommuting some of us have no choice but to access the internet via a subscription limited in data quantity, especially in rural areas, so this criterion is determining. This is why we have not switched to a paid subscription. Since we have been waiting for this development for several years and Dropbox does not seem to care, we are currently looking for an alternative solution to Dropbox.

pops34
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

by the way I point out @Megan that the same topic https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/When-will-Smart-Sync-work-on-linux/idi-p/262171 has already obtained 147 votes. Please don't pretend this request doesn't exist

Need more support?