cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: When will Smart Sync work on linux?

When will Smart Sync work on linux?

edugsdf
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I need to save space on my hard drive. Smart Sync would be the perfect solution, but it still does not work on linux fedora.

When will we have this solution?

180 Replies 180

carp21
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Such as?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @carp21,

Put in some web search engine (like Google) some related phrase (like "cloud storage" - you can play with different words, of course) and I'm sure you will find different cloud services providing such features (features that Dropbox refuses provide). 😉 Here I'm just trying to avoid advertise one or other. Of course don't expect the first one to cover your expectations (not all are different than Dropbox). Just evaluate them patiently.

Hope this helps.

tonyb4
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm running a laptop at home with Ubuntu as I need to use Linux for some project work and I can't believe this post is 4 years old and is still not fixed.

My dropbox has 3TB on it so how am I meant to sync all of that......

Yes I understand I can use 'selective sync' but I want to see all the folders and files and then only be able to access ones which I choose on the fly.

I heard google + that app as one solution. Does anyone no if NextCloud can offer this feature on Dropbox as I feel like I am paying too much as it is for a 3-user Pro version....

kim b.14
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
What is a headless setup,?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@kim b.14 wrote:
What is a headless setup,?

It's setup without Graphical User Interface (GUI) - without head 😁

Dropbox application is the same actually and can work in both modes. When GUI comes up on application launch, it's used, otherwise GUI is ignored.

tonyb4
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So your saying smart sync works as it is but only through Terminal and not through the GUI ? 

Do you need to permenantly disable the Dropbox GUI for this to work? 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Where you see it? 🧐 Who told you this? Those things are completely unrelated! I just gave to you answer to your question; don't imply anything else.

@tonyb4 wrote:

So your saying smart sync works as it is but only through Terminal and not through the GUI ? 

On your last question - NO!

@tonyb4 wrote:

Do you need to permenantly disable the Dropbox GUI for this to work? 

There is no way to do it on your own, in spite it's meaningless! The application does it automatically, as I noted before.

GrahamLees
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You may find this reference https://smallbusiness.chron.com/headless-linux-33715.html helpful in regards to the expression `headless` in a Linux context.

tonyb4
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The thread is specifically about 'smart sync'. 

What are you talking about then and why bother?

tonyb4
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@GrahamLees

Thanks for that but I dont think he's describing that to be honest as it doesn't make any sense in his response to "what is a headless setup"

Need more support?