cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync

Why can't I open Smart Synced online-only files?

SherryCooper
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, 

I've been using the smart sync function to save space on my Mac. It has been working very well until today. 

When I try to open any files that are set to online only, they will not open. However, when I choose local, they do open. 

These files opened fine yesterday, but now today they won't. It's not just a small number of files. it's ALL of them. 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Sherry, are you opening the files directly from Finder, or via the program used to view them? Do you have a stable internet connection using WiFi?

Additionally, how large are the files you’re trying to open? If they’re quite large, then while the Dropbox app begins syncing the content immediately, it may take some time to completely sync and open. 

Sync speed is impacted by the size of the file and the speed of your internet connection, it may take some time to completely sync and open.

If you see the associated application open, but your file does not load or an error occurs, the first step to resolve this issue would be to right-click on the file and select ‘Local’ from the Smart Sync menu. This will sync the file to your computer. Once the file has completed syncing down to your machine, you should again attempt to re-open it.

Let me know if this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

oqjl
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

To provide closure on my particular issue to the rest of the community, I'm replying here. 

Turns out that the problem was with Microsoft Office suite, not Dropbox, as might have been expected from my comment on the Office specific document problem. Uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Office fixed the issue.

View solution in original post

31 Replies 31

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Sherry, are you opening the files directly from Finder, or via the program used to view them? Do you have a stable internet connection using WiFi?

Additionally, how large are the files you’re trying to open? If they’re quite large, then while the Dropbox app begins syncing the content immediately, it may take some time to completely sync and open. 

Sync speed is impacted by the size of the file and the speed of your internet connection, it may take some time to completely sync and open.

If you see the associated application open, but your file does not load or an error occurs, the first step to resolve this issue would be to right-click on the file and select ‘Local’ from the Smart Sync menu. This will sync the file to your computer. Once the file has completed syncing down to your machine, you should again attempt to re-open it.

Let me know if this helps!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

oqjl
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm having the same trouble as SherryCooper except I'm on a Windows operating system in my home. If I just try double clicking the files in File Explorer I get an error dialogue box that lists the path of the file I tried to access and says "Unspecified Error". I've tried multiple large and small files. Opening files through this method works just fine on my other Mac device at home and on a different Windows PC at work.

I got this new computer a few days ago, but ever since I got everything synced (smart-sync online only) I've had to manually mark several files as "local" before I can open them. The only pattern of affected files I can identify is that any file type opened using one of Microsoft Office's applications will cause this issue (docx, xlsx, etc.). photos and PDFs open fine in other applications. If I'm in one of the Office applications and open a file using the application's "open" feature, the file will open just fine. Also, once the file has been opened, it will always open just fine any time thereafter, even if I've remarked the file as "Online Only".

Obviously I would prefer not to have to manually mark every Office based file as "Local" before I can open it, but for now I'm using that workaround.

SniperWolf
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi oqjl

I had the same problem on my windows 7, when I put my files in online only, none of my files can open and I got error messages, corrupt file and other kind of stuff like that. Which is wrong because as soon as you mark your files as "local", it will open well.

I solved the problem by reactivating the windows log service.

Use Windows shortcut keys Win + R to launch Run, then type services.msc and hit Enter to open the Services Manager.

Here, find and right- click on Windows Event Log Service, check up its Properties.

Ensure that the Startup type is set on Automatic and that the services is Started.

Reboot your system.

Let me know if it solve the problem.

oqjl
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestion. My Windows Event Log service was already set to automatic. I restarted it anyway and rebooted my machine, but I'm still getting the same errors.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

oqjl
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Completed the advanced reinstall. Unfortunately, that does not appear to have fixed the issue either.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Have you updated your Microsoft Office apps, and also installed all recent Windows updates?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

oqjl
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I checked for more Windows 10 updates, none were found. I also checked Microsoft's website to ensure that I have the latest build of the Office 2019 suite. Still no improvement.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
One last thing I’d like to look into, try checking your account for any potential problems with filenames or filepaths, just to be certain these aren’t the cause for what you’re experiencing.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?