cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Folder Data Limit - currently limited by 'Basic

Why do shared files count against my space use???

dualice
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why are files shared with me counted against my space usage? Is this data counted twice? If someone who is sharing files with me is paying for this space, why should I have to pay as well just to access it? I am out of space, I have no intention of buying more space, and yet, when someone shares some files with me, I cannot access them and I am forced to buy space in order to access them. Why is this?

Thank you.

127 Replies 127

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @hudsontw3141, that's correct, you'd need to upgrade to a paid plan to be able to add the shared folder to your account.

You can instead ask them to create a shared link to the folder in order for you to view the files on the site, without adding to any account.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JohnnyGPulseJet
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Folks -

I pay for 2TB storage but now my team members are getting errors that their storage is full.  One of my team members just deleted a whole folder of files to clear up space on his Dropbox but then my whole team lost those access to those files (I was able to restore).

Maybe I'm confused but it seems like DropBox is double-counting this storage space against both my quota and my users/team members quotas?  Also doesn't seem easy to check storage utilization or clean it up, maybe I'm missing it.

Can someone please enlighten me as to the DropBox policies for storage quotas and multiple users?  Is there a link where I can read about this?

Thanks,

John

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi John

Simply put whatever is in a persons folder uses their quota. So your upgrade has no benefit at all on any other person. The only plan this is not the case on is if all users are paid business customers. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

UberGomp
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi there,

I am trying to receive a lot of files (pictures) from somebody.  So I tried to share a dropbox folder where that person can add in the pictures. I have a Dropbox Plus (2000GB) account, whereas she has a Basic account with no referrals (2GB).

Since the amount of pictures greatly exceeds the 2GB, she is not able to upload, due to the fact that it is limited by her Basic account.

Now I understand the example Dropbox is giving in the help article: One reason this policy exists is to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts with shared folders.

Also, I understand that Dropbox wants to force more users to bigger accounts. I mean, forcing her to a Dropbox Plus account would be the easiest option. But basically you're then paying twice for the same amount of storage, since you're using up both accounts storage space (if that makes sense).

But I do not quite understand why I, a paying user, is not able to receive files from a non paying user on behalf of my storage limit. So I would like to suggest the following limitations, rules or possible solutions:

Option 1

Disable the creation of editable shared folders for basic, let them pay $1/month to enable the edit right for others. I think that this small micropayment is fair for what you get for it (considering $10/2000GB=$0.005 per GB).  So basically they are paying way too much for the 2GB's you're getting by stacking accounts. And even with all the referrals (max 16GB), it'll make a profit. You could even lower it to $0.16 to break even on a maxed out account (if you are just talking about dollars per GB).

Pros: easiest to program (I think), more profit from micropayments

Cons: will piss of a lot of basic users who use this feature for... basic stuff.

Option 2

1. If all the users have a basic account, it'll be as per the current rules.
  2. If the owner has a basic account (or a premium account, but just not enough storage), one of the members who has a premium account, can 'share' or 'allocate' storage to this folder. Therefore, allowing the group to use up his account's storage.
  3. If the owner has a premium account, the folder will default to the storage space of that account.

Pros: won't piss of the basic users, gives an extra boost for users to switch to a premium account.

Option 3:

Base the storage limit of the shared folder on the account of the owner. And just use up the storage space of the owner. As long as this owner has a premium account. 

Therefore, if the owner were to request a few files from a lot of users (some of which are basic accounts) and the shared folder exceeds 2GB (or the storage space of one of the users you requested a file from), the basic accounts are still able to use the service for their own personal use and will still be able to upload files to that shared folder.

Pros: won't piss of the basic users, gives an extra boost for usersto switch to a premium account.

----

I think it's fair to have something like this, that I'm actually able to request files from others, without using up their storage space. If I were to request a few files, from a lot of people, it would use up all their storage, because I am requestin files. Doesn't make sense, right? You'll always be using up everybodies storage space. Paying users will always pay double, triple, quadruple, ... (depending on the amount of users in a shared folder) for the same bits and bytes.

Basically I am requesting/suggesting something to change on this matter.

Let me know what you think and let's get the discussion started. Maybe you have another idea that kinda resolves this?

Tamara Bean
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I can no longer upload files.... it says I need more storage space. However this is a shared company folder that is already being paid for the max storage. I am the only one in the office that has it saying that I need more space. It is causing problems with my workflow. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Tamara Bean wrote:

I can no longer upload files.... it says I need more storage space. However this is a shared company folder that is already being paid for the max storage.

When you're a member of a shared folder, you have your own COPY of that folder in your account so you need to have enough available space in your account to hold the folder.

If you need to need edit access to this folder, you'll need to upgrade your account. If no one else is getting the message about needing more space, then they all have more space in their accounts than you do and they have room to hold the shared folder.

Tamara Bean
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Then why is it that other team members do not have this issue, when we all have the same thing?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Tamara Bean wrote:

Then why is it that other team members do not have this issue, when we all have the same thing?

They must have more space available in their accounts.

Not all Basic (free) accounts are the same. They all start at 2GB, but additional space can be earned through referrals and other bonus programs. Before I upgraded to a paid account, my free account had 70GB of available storage for free. If other team members aren't having this problem, they must have more storage space available in their accounts.

Tamara Bean
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Rich, I appreciate you taking the time to help!

UberGomp
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Rich 

What I don't like about this, is the fact that if people are paying double for the same bits and bytes.

For example.

Let's say User A and B both have 2000GB storage space available (paying users). If User A shares a hypothetical folder containing 2000GB worth of pictures with user B, that means that both of these users have all their storage used up. So basically they are both paying for the same 2000GB of pictures.

I sincerely hope this example makes sense, because it doesn't seem fair, at all. This could be just 2 users, but of course it could be a lot more users...

Need more support?