cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does Dropbox compressed photo files???

does Dropbox compressed photo files???

Silisia R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm sending full resolution photo files to clients instead of burning them on a disc, but I want to make sure they are the full resolution. I had a client that had pictures made at Walgreens, and they were pixely..I told her not to resize them at all o her end, but now I'm wondering if they are compressed at all and no longer full resolution. If so, I need to go back to discs.
Thanks!

71 Replies 71

Ray H.16
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Tim F

Have you tried to test other type of files? To see if we see the same type of binary differential, like lets say for a .doc or .pdf file?

Tim F.20
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'll see if I have time over the weekend to look at this.

There is also a variable I hadn't thought of which is the difference between uploading from a desktop client vs a mobile client. I tested the mobile photo upload and found the changes but I've not tried it with a desktop client.

Benna C.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The numbers don't lie. A photo file on my iPhone sent to my email account is 505 KB and 151 KB uploaded to DB. Please explain.

Randy & Linda R
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just checked. My original photos are 5184 X 3456. After placing them on DropBox and downloading them to the computer again, I have only 1024 X 683!  The files are ruined!

Stephanie H.12
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

As a photographer, I have had many complaints that the dropbox files are not the high res images that I uploaded.  In fact Facebook shows better quality than dropbox.  This revelation has come during my busiest season and I am left scrambling around to purchase thumb drives, upload, and mail out over 20 galleries so people can get them in time to print for the holidays.  I am beyond frustrated and will be canceling my account in the new year.  I am literally sick to my stomach that I have delivered a low quality product and possibly lost business because of it.  I have fellow photographers as clients who brought this to my attention so this is not just one person's opinion. 

Robert M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dropbox, in our line of business we take a ridiculous amount of pictures and store/share them via dropbox. Our main concern is the amount of disk space that is consumed by our picture files. Once we've completed our report and used the original higher quality pictures, we generally try to compress the picture files to conserve disk space. However, as the phone manufactures continue to push higher resolution capabilities with each new phone release, the lower resolution/smaller picture files have been phased out. In order to eliminate the added step of compressing our picture files before uploading to dropbox, is there an option/setting within dropbox that will compress picture files/folders for us? Thanks!

Tim F.20
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Robert, this was the key point I was making Google are upfront about recompressing your photos and offer a choice. You are either take the free storage with recompression or pay for storage and get unmodified files.

Apple are also very clear, we do not touch your photos (as I proved with checksums etc) but you pay for storage.

Dropbox charge for storage (beyond the fairly small free tier) but also recompress your photos, tag them with a unique ID and most importantly for me are not upfront and honest about this.

Angela P.12
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm a photographer as well and decided to use Dropbox to upload a clients images a few days ago.  I had noticed that the images looked low quality and that concerned me.  Today i received and email from the client saying that the images looked like low res images.  I did a side by side comparison of a dropbox downloaded image to an original image and there's a huge difference.  BTW i pay to use dropbox so I'm very disappointed about this.

This will be my last time uploading high re images to dropbox.   

Tori R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am a photographer as well. Dropbox needs to resolve this. 

Lou D.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am a photographer as well. Dropbox needs to correct the downsizing of images otherwise Dropbox is useless. Please contact me with a fix ~

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

henry w.7 New member | Level 2
    Ste V. New member | Level 1
    Ira1 New member | Level 1
    S A.1 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?