cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: selective sync on ipad?

selective sync on ipad?

karen h.3
New member | Level 1

Is this possible? I know how to selectively sync on my computer, but I can't figure out how to do so on my ipad. HELP!

54 Replies 54

Laureline
Community Manager

Hey Mikhail,

Thanks for your reply.

So it's not a matter of space, but of organisation - got it.

I would recommend to have a handy file organisation.

I guess that each of you have their own Dropbox account in your organisation, and that you have shared folders across the different accounts.

Keep in mind that you can organise your shared folders inside your own folders the way you want.

That way, you can organise your Dropbox folder the way you want, and then access your organised folders to find your files easily on your mobile device.

The file structure is the same on mobile than on the client to make your life easier (and to avoid panic when you can't find a file!!).

In addition, you also have a search feature on mobile that is very useful to find your files. We also added a "recent" feature on iOS, so that you can see the files that were last added or edited by you.

Have a great Tuesday!

Barry R.3
Helpful | Level 7

Laureline,

If I read you correctly above you said my issue was about a "way of better organising favorites and to download / unfavorite them locally in bulk".  This is not what I am asking for. I probably did not explain it clearly enough.

The main point of my request is that I want to add and organise into folders some photos locally on my iPad that have never been on my computer (rather they have just been transferred from my camera to my iPad). Then at a later date synch just those new folders back to my computer at a later date.

This is just how selective synch currently works on every machine. I just want it to work like that on my iPad. You don't need to invent any more features. Just be consistent about the implementation of the features you already have created. 

I don't see the point of having a favourites feature since you can accomplish the same thing by putting the files you want on your iPad into a separate folder and then simply selectively synch that folder. Adding a new feature to accomplish that (favourites) only serves to increase the cognitive overload in using Dropbox.

The great thing and selling point about Dropbox (before you started adding features I might add, was its extremely simple operation and focused functionality (and as a result an extremely low cognitive overload = high degree of usability). Since dropbox's initial concept is so simple, adding that favourites feature was a big percentage increase in cognitive overload, and correspondingly large percentage decrease in usability). If you can use the existing feature (selective synch) to perform some function, it does not make any sense to add a new feature to do a similar task. I am referencing the work of Jakob Nielsen here on User Interface Design: see http://www.nngroup.com/articles/minimize-cognitive-load/. His research into User Interface design is very relevant to your development plans.

Thanks for listening to our input.

Barry

A. Chiera
New member | Level 1

You can other tools to selectively sync photos from computer onto iPad. There are a lot on Google, you can search it and have a try!

Eric T.16
New member | Level 1

If Dropbox files are not saved on mobile devices, why does my phone says Dropbox is taking up 10GB of space? Thanks

Rich
Super User II

If Dropbox files are not saved on mobile devices, why does my phone says Dropbox is taking up 10GB of space?

Not saved permanently... Files you access on the device will be cached temporarily, and any files you mark as available offline will be stored for as long as they are marked that way.

Danny H.9
New member | Level 1

Desperatley need folder syncing for ios. When you have large folder strutures full of lots of files it is impossible to manage by having to find new files and make them available offline.

please fix this 😞 

Mikhail S.3
New member | Level 1

In our organization, we use one Dropbox account for all our people. Each user has their own designated folder for their work. It would be extremely useful to have folder sync on mobile devices so that people don't have to search through a mess of files and photos just to find what they need.

Folder sync would on mobile would enable Dropbox to be used in an organized and professional way, and would make an okay sharing tool into a powerful tool-set. Dropbox makes sharing and group collaboration very easy and fluid, people love it because of that. It seems somewhat backwards to be pushed to switch to more complicated software just to make something else easier. 

Fiona E.
New member | Level 1

Hi

ios photos app allow organising your photos in to albums

id like to be able to select only certain albums for Dropbox upload 

possible ?

Hugo E.1
Explorer | Level 3

So no solution yet? If we have lots of pdf's, images etc we have to manually synch each one of them on our iPads and then try to find them in a big list of shortened file names with no organization or structure whatsoever?

I really think dropbox should provide a better functionality on this subject.

The way it is does not seem to meet Dropbox standards.

Barry R.3
Helpful | Level 7

I am using Documents by Readdle until DropBox can get this sorted out. It works, but is unecessarily time consuming. I can have two-way selective synchronisation with a folder just like I can do with DropBox on all my other devices. I am synching all my travel related Drobbox folders with my iPhone and iPad in this way. 

However I cannot for the life of me understand why Dropbox is forcing me to use such a convoluted approach and have to use a third-party app to do what should logically be done inside of the Dropbox app. It is completely inconsistent.  They seem such a good company otherwise.

Please get to work on this Dropbox and make the app work  consistently with how Dropbox works on all my other computers. I don't want to be forced to cancel my DropbBox account and use iCloud!!

Need more support?