cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: view only link for everyone says Join Folder, Copy to Dropbox, Download. I DON'T want Join Folde

view only link for everyone says Join Folder, Copy to Dropbox, Download. I DON'T want Join Folder.

Fairsarae
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I create printables I share on Etsy, and because the files are so large, I send a dropbox folder link. It USED to be that the page the link went to would have the choices at top Copy to Dropbox and Download ONLY. Now every link has Join Folder, Copy to Dropbox, and Download. I keep getting email requests to join the folder, which is really annoying. I just want someone to be able to download the files, and that's it. I cannot figure out for the life of me how to make the Join Folder go away! I've tried everything I can think of and nothing changes. I'm going crazy. 

78 Replies 78

Fairsarae
Helpful | Level 6
I found the solution— Google Drive. It’s simply not possible to use Dropbox anymore for a major part of my business, not as long as the Join Folder issue remains.

Fairsarae
Helpful | Level 6
If Dropbox’s intention was to send business to its competitors, they’re doing a stellar job.

takeiteasylab
Helpful | Level 5

@Hannah Is anything going to be done about this issue? Or, at least, are Dropbox going to acknowledge that it does not suit some use-cases and offer an alternative solution? The 'Join Folder' option is causing us endless frustration and it feels as though we are banging our heads against a brick wall trying to get any sort of resolution.

GilesR32
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Hannah. My organization has used Dropbox for many years, as an internal file store, and also to share things out publicly to our customers. It's been great; we've had no issues.

But with this "Join Folder" change, my fellow teams admins and I are starting to get lots of notifications and emails about people "Requesting to Join." We don't care for them to Join the Folder. We want them to simply download the files we're providing to them and that's it. Often, these files aren't changing, so there's no reason for them "to see live changes and updates as they happen," as per the August Update.

One of my co-workers recently sent out a marketing email, with a link to a Dropbox folder to download some images. This went out to several hundred of our customers. And now us Dropbox Team Admins are getting a lot of these notifications of people wanting to "Join Folder" instead of downloading. Probably because they're not realizing what they're clicking. And that the  "Join Folder" button is more prominent than the Download button.

We're getting enough email notifications that our spam filter is thinking these notifications are spam. I was looking through our quarantine today and saw several Dropbox notifications. That's not great for you guys. Or us; we may start missing important notifications because of this.

At the very least, is there a way for us turn off these notifications or cease the need to approve View Only joining? According to the August Update, "Join Folder" joins people to the folder as View Only members. OK, if they're View Only, then why do I have to approve it? Let them add it to their own Dropboxes without my approval. It's their Dropbox space they're eating up, not ours that we pay for.

I can understand approval if they had access to Edit the contents within the folder. We definitely don't want to give out Edit access to hundreds of people. But it's just View Only (since a View Only link was created and shared).

Further, it's not even a great approval system. I just created a test folder in my org's Dropbox, created a View Only link, opened it with my separate, personal Dropbox account, and then requested to join the folder with my personal account.

Then on my work Dropbox account, I got the notification. I thought it'd at least be one-click approval or something. Nope, it takes me to the standard share out screen, I have to edit the options to make it View Only, and then send the invitation back out, as if the request was never made in the first place. It's cumbersome.

I think there are lots of ways to improve this. Give us the option to allow downloads but disallow joins. Allow us to turn off admin notifications and/or auto-approve View Only join requests. And make the View Only join request process simpler.

Fairsarae
Helpful | Level 6
@takeiteasylab

Doubtful. They seem far more interested in driving customers to their competitors.

otterandmoth
New member | Level 2

As someone that is testing out Dropbox for use when sharing out digital products, I'm disappointed that this issue of "join folder" has been ongoing since October without any real follow up from support other than the "solution" which really isn't. I've followed the guides, I've adjusted and tweaked every possible share and manage setting and nothing changes. 
Now I am only using the free version as I wanted to run through some test scenarios, so I thought maybe it was some of the limits the free account has in regards to setting changes, but it appears even those with paid accounts have this issue. Hopefully Dropbox will acknowledge the concern and work on a proper resolution soon.

Fairsarae
Helpful | Level 6
@otterandmoth I’m using Google Drive for sharing digital products now. It’s not integrated into my workflow like it was with Dropbox, but it’s a better option, now, in my opinion.

JasonSilverDBX
Dropbox Product Manager
🗯 Important Update: Removal of the Join Folder Option from View-Only Shared Folder Links 🗯

We introduced the capability to join a folder directly from a view-only link to make collaboration even easier.  While well meaning, we don’t always get it right.  We've heard your concerns, and after careful consideration, we've decided to remove this feature.  This change will be implemented within the next couple of days by mid March.

Going forward, recipients visiting a view-only folder link will no longer see the option to Join Folder. No action or setting modification is required on your part. This change affects both new and existing view-only folder links.

Your feedback is invaluable to us, and we encourage you to share any further thoughts or questions you might have.

GilesR32
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jason,

Thanks for letting us all know; this is great news! I appreciate you and the team willing to listen to customer feedback! 👍🏽

JasonSilverDBX
Dropbox Product Manager

Absolutely @GilesR32!  We employ a variety of methods to determine what is and isn't working for our users.  These forums are a valuable source of direct and deep feedback on how you all are using Dropbox and absolutely impacts our product decisions.  Please continue to stay engaged!

Need more support?