cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't Delete Shared Folder on my Mac

Can't Delete Shared Folder on my Mac

toemaytoe
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I have a shared folder in my mac dropbox that is locked by the person who shared it with me. Some time ago I asked him to remove me from the shared list which he did however I am unable to delete the folder from my dropbox app on my mac.

The folder is not in my dropbox online or on my iPhone or iPad, only on my MacBook. The file won't sync; consequently, the dropbox app won't upgrade or update. It is always trying to sync this locked folder. I've tried following the instructions on deleting a shared folder by holding the option key down while deleting from the finder but the option to delete is greyed out.  Any help is greatly appreciated. If I can't get this resolved I'm ready to dump dropbox and move to another provider.

28 Replies 28

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @toemaytoe, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

May I ask if you can see this folder listed in your sharing tab?

If it's not listed there, please send us a screenshot of the folder's properties as shown on your computer and the app's version and status as shown in your menu bar at the moment. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

toemaytoe
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for offering to help me out Walter, it's very much appreciated. The folder in question does not appear in the sharing tab or on any of my devices such as my iPhone or iPad. It only shows up on my MacBook, and even then only on the computer itself, not online. It seems to be stuck on my hard drive and won't allow itself to delete. I wasn't sure which images you wanted to look at regarding the folder status etc., so I took several screenshots that had dropbox info. Please let me know if this is sufficient or if there is something else you need in order to help me resolve this issue and I'll get right on it.Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 11.28.44 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-04 at 11.29.08 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-04 at 11.28.13 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-04 at 11.30.00 AM.pngDropbox GetInfo Screenshot.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshots and all the additional information @toemaytoe - much appreciated!

Can you try the steps in this article to see if this folder can be ignored, so that you can continue with the app's update? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

toemaytoe
Explorer | Level 4

I followed the directions in the article but it didn't work. I kept getting an error message saying there was no such file. I wonder if I should delete dropbox from my computer and then re-install it. Would the reinstalled version load the files from the cloud or would I be risking losing everything. 

I don't know what else to do. I would love to find a less drastic solution though.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @toemaytoe, instead of removing the app entirely from your hard drive, have you tried quitting, then signing back in?

If not, give it a go, and let me know of any updates. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

toemaytoe
Explorer | Level 4

Yes I have tried quitting and signing back in many times.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for trying, @toemaytoe.

Can you cmd+click the folder and send us a screenshot of the properties, please?

Also, have you tried to delete the folder, while the Dropbox app is not running? You close the app, by following these steps.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

toemaytoe
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Hannah this is a copy of the screenshot you requested. I have already tried closing dropbox and then deleting the file but was unsuccessful. Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 9.59.54 AM.png

 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for that, @toemaytoe.

While on the properties window, if you click on the lock icon at the bottom right of the window, are you able to change the permissions of the folder?

Note that you'll be prompted to sign in, but the credentials you'll need to enter, are the ones for your computer profile, not your Dropbox account.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?