cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't delete a folder in dropbox

Can't delete a folder in dropbox

Iris L.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

After I delete a folder(not an empty folder). It will appear again after few minutes and all the files in the folder are gone, like an empty folder.
No matter how many times I delete it, it will appear again. All the folders in my dropbox has this problem.

26 Replies 26

Eleonore L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

hi again,

I found a solution some may be happy to use if experiencing the same trouble (files / folder reappearing after being deleted).

On Dropbox's website, I've activated the display of deleted elements. They now appear in gray among the other files (in black). I've right-clicked on a problematic file I want to delete and selected to delete it. It turns into grey (deleted but visible 'cause I've made visible the deleted items). They quickly I've right-clicked on the file again and selected to delete it for good (I'm using the French version of Dropbox so I don't know the exact word for this in English, should be something like "definitely delete"). Then the file disappears for good, finally.

Taha G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi,
I had the same problem, and solved by actions all done on the website; moving the files into a new folder and deleting the olds, etc. I think that folder and files in it had a sync problem..

Paul P.18
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had the same problem until I signed in to Dropbox online and deleted the folder there instead of on my computer.  

Kirk D.1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Im trying to do delete folders\ files 

Ive tried it on my pc and on the website. Im not having any luck.

This use to be no problem. I deleted them  on one pc or tablet and they were gone.

Jurgita G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I can't delete the empty folder from my dropbox,

if i try, it appears again after few seconds

Levente L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

For me, using the web interface (dropbox.com) solved this issue.

I just logged in from a browser, then right clicked the folder and hit delete.

Liz P.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Eleanore L.'s solution from 7/24/15 is the only one that worked for me. Thanks!

Mara B.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi everyone!

I have a folder on my dropbox online that I actually erased from my dropbox app on my computer. The thing is that folder contains a lot of documents that I don't want it and I tried to erase from de dropbox online but this message appear every time: "That folder contains a lot of files, delete it on computer app", or something like that.

I tried to created another folder, just to check if both, the app and the online dropbox are  in communication, and that work perfectly. I do not understand what happen, and I need to erased it, takes like 3 GB of my dropbox.

Any suggestion?! Thank you

Igor G.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

May be somebody from Dropbox team will finally join the discussion and give if not a solution but at least a hint for this? It is rather annoying problem preventing from convenient usage of the app. 

Mick S.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here. None of the solutions I read here worked. The problem cropped up after I got a new iPhone se which had Dropbox restored to it. I deleted the app from my iphone, and disabled icloud on my work imac too. No difference. Nothing i do seems to get rid of the empty folder titled "iphone 4" in my camera uploads folder. 

I, too, would like to hear from Dropbox about this issue.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mick S.4 New member | Level 2
    Don C.11 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
    Igor G.3 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?