cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't delete a folder in dropbox

Can't delete a folder in dropbox

Iris L.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

After I delete a folder(not an empty folder). It will appear again after few minutes and all the files in the folder are gone, like an empty folder.
No matter how many times I delete it, it will appear again. All the folders in my dropbox has this problem.

26 Replies 26

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

If a file or folder returns when you delete it, it's because it was unable to be deleted on one of your connected devices.

You delete a file on computer A. Dropbox is informed that it has been deleted and syncs that change to your account. Dropbox on your other devices is notified that the file has been deleted, so they also remove the file. On computer B, Dropbox is unable to remove that file for whatever reason (permission, locked, read-only, etc.). The result is that the file remains in place. Dropbox sees the file is still there, thinks it's been added and uploads it back to your account. All your other devices are notified of the "new" file and they sync it back down.

So the problem is that the file or folder in question on one of your devices is unable to be deleted. Figure out which (use Previous Versions to see which computer is adding it back) and fix what is holding it there, and you'll be able to delete it.

Don C.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi All,

Try going to your account settings (top right corner of the web interface), select the Security tab and then disconnect all connected devices.  I had about 20 devices listed and some of these were more than 2 years old.

This seems to work....

I now plan to uninstall Dropbox and purge folders and files on my current devices, before I eventually reconnect them to my account.

Cheers, Don

Mick S.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

YES! Thank you Don. I had a a zillion (well, 30 at least) devices in there. Nuked them all, which took a long time, and the offending folder was finally gone when I logged back in to the Dropbox app on my current devices. It was not a permissions issue.

aparente001
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Don's idea didn't solve the problem, but it was satisfying to do some housekeeping and get rid of five-year-old connections.

Rich's idea was intriguing, but didn't work for one of the stubborn folders that refused to die, because it appeared to be an empty folder, and it turns out you can only look at previous versions of files, not folders.

Here's what seems to have solved the problem: I had to reshared (restore the sharing), then unshare.  That automatically deleted the folder, and I was finally able to "permanently delete."  So far the deletion has been sticking.

For one of my other stubborn folders that refused to die -- I discovered that Notepad++ was saving backups to that folder.  This was causing frequent updating, and dropbox protected me from accidently deleting my work.

mwillis1724
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have folders that I wish to delete but when I delete them they pop right back up. I can delete some folders but not others...WFT???

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @mwillis1724

Welcome to the Community! 

Have you checked if Rich 's reply above helps you determine the cause of the re-appearing folders? Are these added back by one of your devices? 

Please look the previous version of your files online & keep me updated here in case you need more help. 

Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

kallemoen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the same problem and realized I had selectively synced some files, which made the folder look empty when it really wasn't. I opened the dropbox folder through the website and moved/deleted the files, then I was able to delete the folder afterwards. 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you could post it in the Find Answers section here. ]
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mick S.4 New member | Level 2
    Don C.11 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
    Igor G.3 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?