cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Loss due to deleting dropbox folder

Data Loss due to deleting dropbox folder

chahine berrada
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, 

I have recently performed a disk analysis as i noticed that my hardrive space storage was getting smaller. I have noticed that many files were stored in duplicated in a dropbox folder that i dont remember setting up. Trying to free some space on my computer, i deleted the folder and emptied the trash bin only to notice that all my files were lost. I have no idea how all my files (300+Gb) were linked to a 3Gb folder. I also noticed that dropbox notified me that i was using more that the allocated storage for online backups. I tried to recover the files using the online backup tool and the app but nothing seemed to include my files. I have lost very sensitive data and i would like to know if there is any way for me to retrieve them. 

I have tried third party apps to recover deleted files and could not find the most important files. I was able to retrieve most of them but not the most important ones. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @chahine berrada, let's jump right into this! 

Based on the info you provided about your missing content, it sounds like you accidentally used our Backup feature. 

Since the content was larger than your account's allocated storage, I'm not even sure the content synced to the account online. You also mentioned that you deleted the content, and also empty your trash bin on the device, so I can't promise that these files will be restorable, but let's see. 

Have you tried checking online under your deleted files page, and also events page? What do you see there?

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

chahine berrada
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for answering. On the deleted page there is nothing. On the events page i screenshoted - doesn't have much. I deleted the files around 1 pm, and i used an app called ease US to recuperate the folder but it returned only a very small portion of it. There was more than a 100 gigs on this dropbox backup i don't know how it's possible as i never subscribed to anything, and it wasn't online it was local.

I think i was effectively using the back up feature, even though i was doing unintentionally. I beg you if you have any way to get my folders back, i have all my life in it, my music carreer... please help.

Capture d’écran 2023-03-22 à 21.05.16.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @chahine berrada, do you have any of the missing files visible on a potential backup on the site?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

chahine berrada
Explorer | Level 3
Hey there,

Can’t seem to see anything online. Is there no solution from your end ?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If the files aren't visible on the site, nor the deleted files page, then it wouldn't be possible to recover them from our end, unfortunately.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful on this matter.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    chahine berrada Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?