cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleted Files Today...Now can't Recover them......HELP

Deleted Files Today...Now can't Recover them......HELP

CarlinRI
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I was reorganizing my Dropbox files.  I had a directory name" My PC (Desktop -M8H8)" with 3 sub-directories(Desktop, Downloads, Documents) listed in my Dropbox and under MyPC.  I mistakenly deleted the files from the Dropbox directory which also deleted the files from the "My PC" directory.  They are linked in some way and I did not realize that If I deleted files from my DropBox, they would also be deleted from My PC directory.

I deleted the "Download" directory from the My PC and was able to recover it in my Recycle bin.  I guess I deleted the DESKTOP & Document files from DropBox and now I lost them and can not locate the deleted files.  Again, I am thinking because I deleted them through my DropBox " My PC (Desktop -M8H8)", I lost them.   Help  plzzzzzz.

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @CarlinRI, sorry to hear about this.

Can you please take a look at your deleted files page and the events page and let me know if you're able to restore from there?

Also, do you maybe see any of the folders you mentioned in your backups page?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

CarlinRI
Explorer | Level 3

OK, I think I found the files in DB Backup under deleted files, Thank you.  Now I am having trouble with 2 files in my File Explorer.  the 1st file, My PC(DESKTOP - M8H8) is the name of my computer, which resides in DropBox.  It contains 3 subdirectories, Download, Desktop, and Documents.  In the C drive where DropBox resides, This PC also resides with sub-files Download, Desktop, and Documents.  

These 2 directories seem to be linked which prevents me from deleting any subfile/directory. 

If I try to delete the DeskTop file/directory, it will not allow me and give me, this file is open and I must go to close be and try again.  I close everything and open file explorer and try to delete the "My PC(DESKTOP - M8H8)" from DropBox and it won't let me.  I can not delete it from DropBox.

I try to delete Documents from My PC, can't do it.  I try to move the Documents file/directory in another subdirectory of My PC, it will only create a Document short.

Have tried everything I know, I am stuck.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @CarlinRI, can you try to disable the Backup feature first, and then try again? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?