cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted folders keep reappearing

Deleted folders keep reappearing

Adam L.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm hoping someone can help with this problem. I have been using Dropbox for a few years across a number of devices (2 desktop Macs, a laptop, an iPhone and an iPad). This last week, when I try to delete a folder it reappears a moment later. If I move it into another folder, the same thing happens. I have checked and all my other devices are switched off or not trying to sync while I am doing this. Any advice on how to stop it?

Thanks!

83 Replies 83

Raymond D.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi thanks for the response.  It isn't a file I'm trying to delete. it's a folder.  The folder is empty and shows as empty on all the machines, and I am Admin, but it deletes and reappears.  

As it is a folder it doesn't show which machine is making it reappear.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

That is problematic, it appears that the files will delete but the folder wont, on the faulting device.

You could try leaving a file in there and then deleteing the folder, it might be regenerated.

Jan K.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I also have the problem:

It's a folder. Deleting it on Mac, Windows or the browser does not make a difference, it always reappears. Creating a file in it and deleting the folder doesn't help, the folder is created empty.

Even when the parent folder is excluded from all my machines (selective syncing), and then deleting it from the DropBox website, does not help. It reappears in the web interface.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The web interface should only recreate the folder if a device connected instructs it to.

So one of your devices must not be selectively synced, or has some greater issue.

(1) Check each device to see if the folder is present on the device, and remove it. If it comes back its not that device that ordered it created. If it wont delete then thats the device that cant delete it so orders it recreated. Fix that device.

(2) Failing that, take all devices off line, delete the folder via the web, then bring devices online one by one, and watch for the folder being created, when it is, it was the device you just brought online.

mike v.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Make your changes to folders by signing into your account online.  You will be able to permanently delete anything when you do it this way.  Case closed.

Dave C.5
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

mike v. : that is a totally inaccurate statement, if one of the devices is not able to erase the folder locally (many reasons exist) then the result of a folder delete at any other location (device or web) will be followed by the faulting device restoring the folder as it didn't delete. As it is still present, the device will send a create order to the cloud that is disseminated to all devices.

mike v.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Ok Dave.  Keep doing it your way...

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@mike v. : If you dont have anything to add dont comment.

I replied with you're wrong and why, your reply to that amounts to trolling.

P. A. P.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

crazy, it keeps happening

I can't find any fix, come on dropbox, this is annoying!!

Jesus vicente M
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same here, I tried all the suggestions and nothing changes. I have an empty folder in the root directory and keeps showing up all the time. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

harten74 New member | Level 2
    Bensie New member | Level 2
    AmosMoses Explorer | Level 4
    FoxL Explorer | Level 4
    RKPy Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?