cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$Deleted "If you move this file to $Deleted, it won't be available in Dropbox or on any Devices"

$Deleted "If you move this file to $Deleted, it won't be available in Dropbox or on any Devices"

DaveYVR
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This thread already starts to address the issue, but it never reports if a solution was found or implemented:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/Dropbox-asks-if-I-want-to-remove-a-document-...

I am having the same issue. In my case, it seems to be related to firefox profiles I am saving to Dropbox.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe the culprit folder is:

C:\Users\"User1"\Dropbox\FIREFOX PROFILES\SHOPPING\cache2\doomed

The "User1" would be replaced by your own machines username.

DaveYVR_0-1676864039158.png

Windows 11.

Firefox 110.0 (64-bit)

Feel free to ask for more info if required

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @DaveYVR, this dialog window appears when a 3rd party app attempts to update files in your Dropbox for Desktop app on Windows. 

Based on the way the file system works, the existing file is deleted, and the new version is saved in its place. Dropbox is warning you of the initial deletion. 

In order to get rid of this dialog window, check "Don't ask me again" and select "Move out of Dropbox." This will allow Firefox (or any 3rd party app) to delete the existing file and write a new one without this warning appearing.

This has been brought to the attention of the appropriate team so that we can continue to improve our File System Warnings.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @DaveYVR, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please let me know if you've tried pausing syncing when saving the files in question?

if you still get the same error when syncing is paused or after quitting the Dropbox desktop app, let me know the exact steps you take that result in the error you mentioned. 

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

DaveYVR
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello Walter,

Please review the previous thread and my description above.  Since you have requested pausing sync troubleshooting steps from others, your answer to dropbox’s behaviour should lie in that thread.

These are files that are automatically saved during the normal operation of a program (in this case, Firefox browser). I have provided the firefox version number at the end of my message, and that it is firefox profiles (user data) that is being saved to dropbox automatically.  This should be enough information for your QA/QC testers to reproduce the error as it is as simple as saving a facebook profile within the dropbox folder, but feel free to let me know if they cant reproduce.

Pausing dropbox is not a usable solution as many have pointed out before me in the locked linked thread. 

Since the thread was started 2 years ago, and has since been locked, I would have assumed dropbox would have a recorded solution to this bug that may have to be implemented on a third party app basis. Possibly you have already developed a solution, but have not applied it to firefox. 

Hope this information helps. 

Best regards, 
Dave. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @DaveYVR, this dialog window appears when a 3rd party app attempts to update files in your Dropbox for Desktop app on Windows. 

Based on the way the file system works, the existing file is deleted, and the new version is saved in its place. Dropbox is warning you of the initial deletion. 

In order to get rid of this dialog window, check "Don't ask me again" and select "Move out of Dropbox." This will allow Firefox (or any 3rd party app) to delete the existing file and write a new one without this warning appearing.

This has been brought to the attention of the appropriate team so that we can continue to improve our File System Warnings.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DaveYVR
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Jay,

Excellent answer and solution. Very clear and well explained. 

best regards,

Dave

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

We're glad to hear it's sorted now and thanks for keeping us in the loop too, Dave.

See you around the Community and take care! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    DaveYVR Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?