cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does 'delete everywhere' mean that if I delete a file, it will get deleted for other people too?

Does 'delete everywhere' mean that if I delete a file, it will get deleted for other people too?

Sharon4470
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Still getting use to using Dropbox, so hopefully not to much of a silly question. When I go to delete a "on-line file only" to save hard drive space, it states 'delete everywhere' does this mean the file can no longer be opened/viewed to the person I have previously sent it to? I've been using Dropbox for about 2.5 years, but I have to keep my files for a minimum of 5 years. So if I delete everywhere does this mean no-one can view that file again?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
@Sharon4470 wrote:

When I go to delete a "on-line file only" to save hard drive space, it states 'delete everywhere' does this mean the file can no longer be opened/viewed to the person I have previously sent it to?

It just means that if you delete the file from your Dropbox, it will be deleted from your account and from any other device your account syncs to. It won't delete it for anyone you've sent it to, but it will delete it for other people if you're deleting it from a shared folder that has other members.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
@Sharon4470 wrote:

When I go to delete a "on-line file only" to save hard drive space, it states 'delete everywhere' does this mean the file can no longer be opened/viewed to the person I have previously sent it to?

It just means that if you delete the file from your Dropbox, it will be deleted from your account and from any other device your account syncs to. It won't delete it for anyone you've sent it to, but it will delete it for other people if you're deleting it from a shared folder that has other members.

Sharon4470
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks soo much for reply. You have solved my issue.

tambourineman
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Nope,  """" delete everywhere"""  does not do that.  At most it deletes it on the device where the file or folder ios deleted and then other devices repopulate Dropbox with the deleted tiems.  Very annoying as well as simply just wrong.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@tambourineman wrote:

Nope,  """" delete everywhere"""  does not do that.  At most it deletes it on the device where the file or folder ios deleted and then other devices repopulate Dropbox with the deleted tiems.  Very annoying as well as simply just wrong.

No, that's not correct. Dropbox is a sync service. If you delete a file on one device it's deleted on all devices linked to that account, and it's deleted for all members of a share if deleted from a shared folder.

If you're deleting a file and it's coming back on its own, it's because some device was unable to delete the file when told to do so (it was open or otherwise locked). Dropbox thinks the file is re-added and syncs it again. The problem is with the device that was unable to delete the file; not Dropbox. Use the file's version history to determine which machine keeps adding it back, then look for a problem on that device.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    tambourineman Explorer | Level 4
    Sharon4470 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?