cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox backup deleting the original files on my backed up PC.

Dropbox backup deleting the original files on my backed up PC.

revik345
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

If this is the way Dropbox backup is going to work I may seek a different solution.  Dropbox didn't just make a backup copy, it removed the files from my PC so that there is not a local copy.  Is there a setting that I haven't found or is it intended to work this way?  Please let me know as this is not an acceptable approach.  

23 Replies 23

tess e
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

totally 😞 

Demoerin Delux
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Please be aware there is a difference between sync and backup.  Backup is when the files STAY on the backup drive (what ever you choose it to be).  You described sync not backup.  See the difference (you will see that there are one for storage, one for backup and one for sync):

Cloud Storage

Cloud Backup

Cloud Sync

What is its purpose?

File Storage

File Recovery

File Mirroring

How does it work?

Makes the same files accessible from multiple locations, via the internet.

Makes a snapshot of files from one device recoverable from multiple locations, via the internet.

Makes your files in cloud storage accessible on your local device.

What does it enable?

• Access to files from multiple devices
  • Easy file sharing
  • Collaboration in real time
  • Recovery of accidentally-deleted files
  • Device recovery after a malware attack
  • Protection for all the files and data on your device
  • Store files in the cloud, but work on them locally in applications on your device
  • Save space on your local storage by making files online-only

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Demoerin Delux wrote:

Please be aware there is a difference between sync and backup. ... You described sync not backup.

No, I described how the backup feature in Dropbox works, in relation to your key folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc.). They're moved to the local Dropbox folder so they can sync with your account online. Changes you make in your key folders are synced, like any of your other files or folders. It's not a true backup; never has been. Delete a file from your Desktop and it's deleted from your Desktop folder online. The main differences between sync and backup is that online, your key folders are stored in a special folder for your computer and there are different options for restoring those files.

Mayorbob
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox did the same for my files...deleted the original. How do I get them back?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mayorbob Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
    Demoerin Delux Explorer | Level 4
    tess e Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?