cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox created a "Mac" Folder that is backing up my Desktop and Documents Folder

Dropbox created a "Mac" Folder that is backing up my Desktop and Documents Folder

annasant
Explorer | Level 3

As in the title

1) I cannot see this "Mac" folder in my dropbox folder on my mac, only in the online list.

2) Neither the "desktop" nor the "document" folders show up in my backing up options. 

3) When I tried to delete the "documents" and "desktop" folders from the "Mac" folder on dropbox online, it deleted them from my mac, as if I had shared them or they were part of my dropbox syncronizations.

How do I stop dropbox from syncing this folder? I would like to keep all of the other folders on both dropbox and my computer, but I would also like to remove the "Mac" folder from my dropbox while keeping my "documents" and "desktop" contents on my Mac.

4 Replies 4

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @annasant, let's jump into this together! 

It sounds like you have enabled our Backup feature, and you wish to disable it. Have you tried out the steps mentioned here

Keep in mind that what you mentioned on point 3 of your thread is expected. Your Dropbox folder is a reflection of your account online, and it syncs any changes you make back and forth. 

When you enable Backup, it syncs your Documents, Downloads, and Desktop too, that's why that happened. 

As for your 1 and 2 point, have you made sure the app is up to date? Can you clarify the app's syncing status at the moment?

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

annasant
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Syncing is up to date - 

When accessing preferences > backups > manage backups, the only option I see is to set up the back up, as indeed I have never started it; which is why it is strange to find this "Mac" folder and I don't know how to remove this backing up that I have not initiated nor want.

Anna

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @annasant, just to be certain, could you check this page to see if there is a computer backup on the site?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

annasant
Explorer | Level 3

I did check at the link you provided, and it says "unlinked" under status - as indeed I did not set it up to backup my computer - 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

annasant Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?