cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox for iPad. How to select and copy multiple files at once.

Dropbox for iPad. How to select and copy multiple files at once.

Tinchohs
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Hi. I am trying to select and copy multiple files within Dropbox folders using the Dropbox for iPad app. 

Somehow I am not finding a way to do so. I want to believe it’s possible, and I just missed how to access the functionality. Any feedback is appreciated it. 

Thanks. m. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Tinchohs,

Did you try to touch an entry (file or folder) and keep the touch for a moment until the entry gets marked. After that you would be able select any other entry from current folder in addition and do whatever action available for selected set (including copy, move, delete, etc).

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Tinchohs,

Did you try to touch an entry (file or folder) and keep the touch for a moment until the entry gets marked. After that you would be able select any other entry from current folder in addition and do whatever action available for selected set (including copy, move, delete, etc).

Tinchohs
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Thanks. Did this NOT work for me. I click (tap) and hold but it does not select the additional file or folder. Does this work for you on your iPad? Appreciate your help. Thanks. m. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi again @Tinchohs,

To be honest I don't have iPad, but the explained works in such a way on my phone, so I suppose for iPad could be the same. On first tap and hold only the selected file will get selected, not immediately others! The file will not being opened in some application, associated to corresponding file type (as usual), but just selected. Once the application gets in "select" mode (if could be said so), you can select (add to selection) any other file/subfolder residing in the same folder where first file resides in. I don't don't know a way to select files from arbitrary folders, if that's what you are looking for. Selected files/folders set can be handled similar to single file in regards to copy, move, etc.

Good luck.

Tinchohs
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Thanks SO much. Interesting. I just tried this on my phone as well. When I tap and hold, a blue bar highlights the file. As soon as I release, not matter how long I held and pressed, the preview open up. I am not able to replace the behavior you mention. I’ll look in the settings. Not sure if I have to enable something… Thanks again. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Just for reference, a selection process on some pictures. Initial (no select mode view):

изображение.png

After selection of the first image:

изображение.png

Now everything else in the same folder can be selected and be performed action from ellipsis menu (up-right corner). I haven't changed any settings, it's so by default.

Tinchohs
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Thanks. This is really helpful. Nothing on my settings that indicates I have this disabled. Can I ask you yo share the version of your app so I can confirm if I am on a different version? I just checked for updates, but there is nothing new showing to me. Thanks SO much! 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

My version is definitely not the up to date one. Dropbox regularly drops some important features for me. That's why I keep relatively old version with feature available that are missing in new versions. The selection view is not such a feature, as far as I know. Other users in this forum confirmed it works. I don't know what's wrong in your case.

By the way, you can always do the same using web interface of any device type (including your iPad), if nothing else works. 😉

Tinchohs
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Solved. I had 'misread' a checkbox icon on the top. I assumed it was to see the Tasks. But IMG_0750.jpgit is the way to activate the multiple selection process. Thanks SO much for your help. Very much appreciated. m. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Tinchohs Collaborator | Level 10
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?