cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel file changes not being saved

Excel file changes not being saved

IainF
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

I use an Excel file saved to a folder in my Dropbox. This is accessed by two colleagues both of whom use Office for Mac as do I (Office 365 in two cases, not sure if one is standalone Office for Mac or 365)

In any event, though I successfully save changes to the file, when one of my colleagues accesses the file later it's as if I've never edited it at all. 

I see from a 2018  community post/reply that Excel files in Dropbox can only be edited successfully using Office online. Is this still true?

If this is the case, I'm disappointed that this is not made clear in some way for users of DropBox (perhaps an alert for any .xls or .xlsx files saved) because I suspect that a lot of people have lost data as a result.

So I guess the question is, is the problem of not being able to edit Excel files with the desktop version of Excel still true?

Cheers

Iain

15 Replies 15

IainF
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,

Any other thoughts?

This hasn't been explained or sorted out as yet (as far as I know)

I'd be interested in any help you have to offer.

Cheers

Iain

Walter
Dropbox Staff

I'm sorry for the late reply @IainF

Can you check @edwards142 reply on this thread and let me know if it helps in your case as well?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

IainF
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter

I'm not sure that this is relevant to my case.

Though I may be wrong I think that the file is being saved OK to DropBox when I save it  but when it's opened by Jo, it seems that she is opening an old version.

I don't know how but I can't think of any other explanation.

Cheers

Iain

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @IainF, I just wanted to jump in here and mention that, if another user is having trouble previewing the updated versiom of the file, I'd recommend checking with them:

• How they are previewing the file in question (via the website, the desktop app, or the mobile app)?
  • What does their version history show for that file?
  • If the file is shared with other users, are they having the same issue?

Let us know what you find, thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

IainF
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Lusil,

I think you're correct and the answer is pretty prosaic.

Though Jo has dropbox installed she was using 'open recent' in Excel to open the file and the app was just pointing to the old version, (not sure where) rather than opening the one I'd updated. I don't know if DropBox wasn't syncing the changes to her folder or what.

From now on we'll open the file directly from DropBox and see if that solves the problem.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks both for your help.

Cheers

Iain

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

No worries, @IainF! We're always around to assist if you have any other questions, so don't hesitate to give us another nudge. 

In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    IainF Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?