cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're looking to hear about your experience when using Dropbox in a web browser. What parts of Dropbox feels very slow to you and takes a lot of time to get done? What are you trying to do in the Dropbox web browser when you experience slowness? Tell us right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Comments

Help! wiped out all my files! How can I find out if Dropbox still has them?

Help! wiped out all my files! How can I find out if Dropbox still has them?

Jilena
Helpful | Level 5

I let my Plus account go a few months ago, so was on Basic. I removed Dropbox from my computer tonite. In the process, I wiped out the sync folder, and now all my file folders and files are gone from my computer (PC). How can I find out if DropBox still has my files, i.e. if I reinstate my account would Dropbox still have all my files?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Help! wiped out all my files! How can I find out if Dropbox still has them?

Jilena
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, all of you, for your encouragement! I did sign in to Basic, was able to see that there were 137 Gigs of files, so I paid for Plus, and seem to have all my files back!

Jilena

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropboxer

Hi @Jilena, welcome to our Community! 

You mentioned that you removed Dropbox from your computer. Can you clarify if you uninstalled the app first, and then deleted your Dropbox folder? 

Provided that the content was synced online, could you check your Dropbox account online, to see what you can find there? Do you see your content visible online? 

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Jilena
Helpful | Level 5

Yes, I removed the program, and then deleted the files by removing the sync folder.

When I look online, I see just the few folders I had kept directly on the Drobbox website to share with others, and a notice about that my subscription had ended. And, if the scroll bar is any indication, it is likely not showing all the folders that were on my computer, i.e. just the folders that were still being saved under thte Basic plan.

Jilena_0-1678891314821.png

However, in order to be sure, I would need to click one of the buttons, and I do not want to do anything that would wipe them out if there are there. Is there another way to tell?

Also, if would be helpful to be able to email or talk to someone directly at Dropbox. Is there any way to do that?

Thank you!

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Jilena, clicking on the Basic option wouldn't do anything to your account, since you can still access your files as normal from the files page. No files would be deleted from the site, unless you deleted them from the computer or site directly.

If your account is overquota while on a Basic plan, edits and new files wouldn't sync until you are underquota. 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Jilena
Helpful | Level 5

Well, unfortunately, I did delete them from my computer yesterday by removing the Sync file. And, as I was underemployed when my Plus plan expired, I did not renew it, and that was a few months ago. So I am wondering if the full contents that was being backed up before then is still available. 
Do I need to at least turn Basic back on, or purchase Plus, to find out what is actually there? Is that true? (And I discovered yesterday that my computer did not have History turned on, so I can't just Restore....drat!)  Or is there some other way to find out?

Jilena

Mark
Super User II

Upgrading now wont change what is on the Dropbox site @Jilena 

You should be able to just go to www.dropbox.com/home and see all your files. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jilena
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, all of you, for your encouragement! I did sign in to Basic, was able to see that there were 137 Gigs of files, so I paid for Plus, and seem to have all my files back!

Jilena

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jilena Helpful | Level 5
    Mark Super User II
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?