cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

How can I open files from the website locally?

How can I open files from the website locally?

NickRoss
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have recently read the article From Web To Desktop . This article is 5 years old. Today, I can't find a way to open files locally from the web browser. Is it possible to open files locally (using native applications in Windows, Mac OS or IOS) using Dropbox Url link or through a web platform?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

NickRoss
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi again.

I have just installed Google Chrome and there are two (desired) options, "Open by native app" and "Open in finder". Works fine!šŸ˜€ I was about to think those functions don't exist in Dropbox. I am working with a lots of documents needed to be linked and Dropbox links (URL) are super usseful only if those documents (including images) can be quickly opened and edited. 

I am going to check what is problem with Safari (maybe something releted to OS security settings). 

And yes, I have installed Dropbox application on desktop.

All the best

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @NickRoss, thanks for checking in with us. 

It looks like you're referring to the Open function from the website, so you can check out this article for some additional info.

Give us another nudge if you have any other questions, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NickRoss
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Lusil,

Thank you for your reply. I am using Safari (Mac Os Catalina) and getting only "+connect apps" option under "Open" menu when hovering over the file (pdf file that is downloaded on my computer). Tried many files...

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hmm. :thinking: In this case:

• Could this be a shared file by any chance?
  • Do you have the desktop app installed?
  • Is the file visible in your Dropbox folder via Finder/File Explorer?

Let me know what you find, @NickRoss!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NickRoss
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi again.

I have just installed Google Chrome and there are two (desired) options, "Open by native app" and "Open in finder". Works fine!šŸ˜€ I was about to think those functions don't exist in Dropbox. I am working with a lots of documents needed to be linked and Dropbox links (URL) are super usseful only if those documents (including images) can be quickly opened and edited. 

I am going to check what is problem with Safari (maybe something releted to OS security settings). 

And yes, I have installed Dropbox application on desktop.

All the best

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

NickRoss Helpful | Level 6
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?