cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I'm freaking out. ALL of my graphics files have been deleted!

I'm freaking out. ALL of my graphics files have been deleted!

mitchellvii
New member | Level 2

I have always kept my graphics files that I use for my podcast in a folder named "Team."

I was working and a dropbox notification popped up saying that "9845 of my dropbox files have been deleted."

I was like what the heck.  I haven't deleted anything.  So I do some looking around and I see that my Team folder with ALL of my graphics is just GONE.  Also, there is no record of it being deleted to roll things back or undelete.  This is a DISASTER.  What happened and what can be done to fix it?

WHY DID DROPBOX DELETE MY FILES???!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mitchellvii
New member | Level 2

Ok solved it.  Seems for some reason Dropbox put all the folders that were deleted into one folder and I was able to restore it from there.  Whew, crisis averted!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

mitchellvii
New member | Level 2

I can't believe this.  There is no record on Dropbox of these files being deleted.  I can't restore them because according to dropbox they never existed!

Mark
Super User II

What is www.dropbox.com/events showing?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

mitchellvii
New member | Level 2

Ok solved it.  Seems for some reason Dropbox put all the folders that were deleted into one folder and I was able to restore it from there.  Whew, crisis averted!

mitchellvii
New member | Level 2

Still no idea why they were deleted.

Rich
Super User II

@mitchellvii wrote:

Seems for some reason Dropbox put all the folders that were deleted into one folder and I was able to restore it from there.

Just so you're aware, Dropbox doesn't do anything like that. It can't move or delete your files. It can only do what it's instructed to do. If folders were moved, then either you, someone with access or something on your computer moved them. Same goes for deletions.

Marlene
Explorer | Level 4

hi, same happened to me about four weeks ago. Something like 25000 files were about to be deleted, I could watch it while it happened. It affected about 5 folders out of 8. I was freaking out, too. I immediately startet a chat with dropbox helpdesk and they brought all files back. They needed the permission to look into nearly each folder. But I never got an explenation why it happened.

As per today I have another problem: none of my files in den vault folder can be opened, everytime an error message appears. I have towait until tomorror because help is only offered from Monday to Friday.

I wish you all the luck that they can help you!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to hear this, @marlene

Can you send me a screenshot of the error you keep receiving?

Also, if you’re currently in touch with our support team about this, feel free to send me your ticket number here.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Marlene
Explorer | Level 4

Hallo Nancy,

danke für das Angebot der Hilfe! Aber ich hatte heute morgen schon einen Chat deshalb, und der Fehler wurde an die Kollegen weitergeleitet, die darauf spezialisiert sind. Jetzt warte ich, bis ich kontaktiert werde, damit ich baldmöglichst wieder auf den Vault Ordner zugreifen kann. LG Marlene

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hallo @marlene, großartig!

Könnten Sie mir die Ticketnummer zusenden, damit ich sie in unserem System finden kann?

--

Hi @marlene, awesome! 

Would you be able to send me the ticket number reference, in order for me to locate it on our system?

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?